We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding in Guadalajara - where to go before / after?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Guadalajara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding in Guadalajara - where to go before / after?

Hi all.

My husband and I are attending a wedding in Guadalajara in mid-March and are thinking about extending the trip to see other parts of Mexico, which neither of us have visited before. Any recommendations on where to go? We're into food, history (ruins could be interesting), and of course fantastic beaches - this is why narrowing down is proving difficult.

A few caveats: we only have a few extra days; we don't want to spend a ton on extra airfare (we're not opposed to flying somewhere else, but we hear in-country flights are $$$); and we're not into being surrounded by other tourists 24/7.

Any advice / recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
35 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding in Guadalajara - where to go before / after?

I woukd make a day trip to Tequila - to the Jose Cuervo Plant. And pay for the top of the line tour that stops at the agave fields. I also would spend a day in Ajijic travelling about. And of course a day in Tlaquepaque! Manzanillo is three hrs away / the beach. Stay at las hadas.

Guadalajara...
Level Contributor
2 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding in Guadalajara - where to go before / after?

Hello Condolla:

For sure I recommend you to visit Colima City. It's 2 hours away from Guadalajara.

Across the street of the beautiful main plaza

and the cathedral is a large hotel that was recently purchased by

the Best Western chain hotels, when I first heard that I chuckled,

but upon entering the huge building I realize that it was a very historical hotel by the name of Hotel Ceballos. It is around 80 US per night.

You mention that you want to visit places without a lot of tourists. Ask the front desk which busses go to the '' Laguna Maria '' which is above the city in the hills. It's priced at around 35 US per night, and it's a beautiful place with rental boats, amazing landscapes and is family owned by very friendly people (who speaks only Spanish).

Hope this helps !

Kind regards, Leo

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
247 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding in Guadalajara - where to go before / after?

If you only have a few days before and after the wedding in GDL, I recommend not to go too far. If you are looking for beaches, you can go to Puerto Vallarta or Manzanillo, and travel by bus, 3 hours to Manzanillo and about 6 hours to PV. Otherwise, nice places around GDL are in Lake Chapala (largest lake in Mexico) with the town of the same name, Chapala and the town of Ajijic which are only 30-40 minutes from GDL. There is also the Magic town of Tequila which you can find an array of bus tours in GDL that head there and do a Tequila Distillery Tour. If you like shopping, and love small town colonial atmosphere head to the suburbs of Tonala and Tlaquepaque for the best collection of hand made glass, copper, silver, paintings, and other mexican artifacts. Now if you really have some extra time, I highly recommend heading to Guanajuato City, one of the best colonial cities in all of Mexico. By car it should only be 3 to 3.5 hours or by bus it should take about 4-5 hours, and you will definitely need to spend at least 2 days there. Good luck.

Guadalajara...
Level Contributor
6 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding in Guadalajara - where to go before / after?

There are lots of things to do in Guadalajara; I wouldn't recommend you going to a beach, because the driving distance to the closest one is 3 hours (one way) to Manzanillo for example, so you'd need to assign at least 2 days for that visit (which is not even Guadalajara by the way).

I would strongly recommend you to go to the "Guachimontones" archaeological ruins, it's an amazing place full of history and nature. It is really easy to get there (if you have a car), it's a 40-minute drive from Guadalajara.

If you will not have a car, you should go downtown Guadalajara and take the "Tapatio Tour" right on the "rotonda de los hombres ilustres" and "Catedral". This is a touristic bus that offers panoramic views of all the interesting places of the city, it's not expensive and it's worth it; you can hop on and off the bus as many times as you want. This bus also takes you to downtown Tlaquepaque, which is a must see.

The Guadalajara zoo is also very fun and affordable, it's full of attractions and you will have fun all day.

Mazamitla is also a great option, it's a small town in the middle of a forest where is fresh all year long or even chilly in winter. You can rent a cabin and relax for 1 or 2 days.

I could go on and on, but it will all depend on how many days you will have to spend in Mexico, and also if you're planning to rent a car to move around. Anyway I hope you have an excellent time on the wedding and sightseen in Mexico!

5. Re: Wedding in Guadalajara - where to go before / after?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 06, 2014