We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting next week

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
visiting next week

We'll be in Guadalajara next week, from Wed. until the following Monday.

Is anyone aware of any special activities or events taking place in that time?

Thanks.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
460 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting next week

Every Sunday is pretty awesome to go down to the downtown area. They close off a major east/west street and leave it open for bicycles and skateboarders and stuff. Additionally there is always interesting things going on along the route. Sometimes there are concerts (local performers) on a stage near the university, sometimes there are civic groups that have things set up, etc. It's an awesome people-watching event.

Here's a little video I did on it:

http://youtu.be/TYY-wGWRyjE

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting next week

Great video, thanks for sharing.

We stayed downtown, and you're right, there is plenty happening there on a Sunday afternoon. Pretty much any time, really

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting next week

Central Plaza or Plaza de armas has a free concert in its Kiosko at 6 pm on Sundays. Sersol

woodburn
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting next week

Go down down and ride the Subway it is called the "light (meaning light weight) train. You pay with token and go thru a turnstye....it is very clean and takes you to the significant parts of the cities tourist spots ....like the San Juan de Dios...........where you can see the jewerlry stores..with great prices.

You also should check out the zool Zoologico it is impossible to see it all unless you go early. You can find eats there. Wear good walking shoes as the exhibits are not near each other. Plan on getting the full ticket so you can see all the areas and riding the train is a must.

Sunday is a great day to visit Tlaquepaque o Tonala. Pottery and art everywhere. you can not see it all. Tonala redoes it on Thursday.

Have a great time GDL is great!

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,381 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting next week

Thanks for the ideas. Any suggestions on hotels?

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting next week

We stayed at the Hotel Cervantes. A good location, easy walking distance to many downtown sites. I posted a review.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visiting next week

Hotel Fenix; Hotel Morales; Hotel Santiago de Compostela in down town.

In Chapultepec trendy area. Hotel La fayette. LAso if you want to stay in a small studio or apartaments by day rentalsguadalajara@gmail.com

Enjoy your stay in Guadalajara. Sergio

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,381 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visiting next week

Sorry... I should have also added that we'll be going to a concert in Zapopan the night we arrive. Any suggestions for close to there? Thank you!

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visiting next week

There are plenty of cabs and the fares are reasonable. I'd select a hotel on proximity to what you want to do while in town. You can easily get to and from the concert from anywhere.

Which concert are you coming to?

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,381 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: visiting next week

Judas Priest... we arrive at 2:40, concert starts at 9pm but we need to pick up the tickets by 7 according to the ticketmaster website, so I thought we'd get the tickets and have dinner somewhere around there. I figured it might also be easier to find a hotel close to it.