We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Tour starting in Guadalajara

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
victoria
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Tour starting in Guadalajara

I have been trying to find information about bus tours starting from Guadalajara. I would like to tour Colonial Cities for approx 7-10 days. I have found several starting in Mexico City, but would really like to start from Guadalajara. If anyone has any information they could share, I would be most grateful. Thank you

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Tour starting in Guadalajara

Tours aren't a big thing in Mexico - most people plan their own because it's cheaper and gives them more flexibility. Transportation is usually by the country's first-class bus system.

victoria
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Tour starting in Guadalajara

Thanks for the response Steve, could you recommend cities to visit please. Thank you

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Tour starting in Guadalajara

If you are starting and finishing in Guadalajara then you should see that city plus Queretaro, Guanajuato and San Miguel (which are the most beautiful and interesting). That doesn't involve much travel since the longest bus journey would be 5-6 hours at most. Morelia is good also but a bit further and out of the way for such a short trip.

victoria
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Tour starting in Guadalajara

Hi, just one more question. Would it be possible to get to Taxco from there too. Looking at others comments, it seems as if that would also be worth seeing. Thanks

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Tour starting in Guadalajara

Simple answer is no :)) You would have to get all the way to either Toluca or Mexico City and find your way from there so it's quite a trek if you're starting/finishing in Guadalajara. Taxco is not a great favorite of mine - one church, one square, one half-decent restaurant and 2,000 silver shops.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,967 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus Tour starting in Guadalajara

I would like to add spending a day or two visiting the Lake Chapala region which is only 45 minutes or so from Guadalajara.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,967 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus Tour starting in Guadalajara

Sorry I missed the colonial cities part..

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus Tour starting in Guadalajara

I´m agrree with Steve-Mex about visiting Queretaro, Guanajuato and San Miguel . Avoid Morelia city in Michoacan State.

In Queretaro out side there is an inpresive winery freixenet and Piedra Bernal, about 25 mnts from the city. Have fun and a safe trip. Sersol

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
247 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus Tour starting in Guadalajara

I agree with all. With the exception that I like Taxco, probably because my wife's family is from around there, I have to fake it, lol. It is actually quite a nice town. It reminds me of a colonial town in Italy, high up in the mountains. Nevertheless, I agree with SteveMex that Taxco is too far for your short trip starting and ending in GDL.

You could do Taxco on a different trip, where you can start and end in Mexico City. For example, MC, Puebla, Cuernavaca, and Taxco, or MC, Cuernavaca, Taxco, and Acapulco.

All the cities mentioned are wonderful, Guanajuato been one of my favorites. I still have not discover Queretaro, but I have a trip in July to Mexico, and It is one of my stops. Actually, I will be doing exactly what SteveMex has suggested. I have family in Guadalajara, and I will be spending my first five days there, with some stops in Chapala, Mazamitla, and/or San Juan de Los Lagos. Then I will be heading to Guanajuato City for a 4 day stay, I am attending a Quincenera (sweet sixteen) in Leon, but will be staying in Guanajuato City. Then, I will be taking a bus to Queretaro, and I will finally visit this espectacular city. I will be staying 4 days, more if it catches my interest. My plan is to do a couple of days touring Queretaro City, then do some tours of Bernal and/or Tequisquiapan, and possibly like Sersol mentioned visit the winery and cheese factory.

Tip: In my opinion the best bus in central Mexico is ETN, they have great luxury class buses. I believe they travel to all the cities mentioned in Central Mexico.

Good luck.

10. Re: Bus Tour starting in Guadalajara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:48 am, August 11, 2014