We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From PV to Guadalajara - Drive or bus?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Guadalajara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United States
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
From PV to Guadalajara - Drive or bus?

Hello,

My husband and I are going to Puerto Vallarta for first time in July for a week. We would like to go to Guadalajara for a couple days, would it be better to rent a car or take a bus?

thanks for your help

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From PV to Guadalajara - Drive or bus?

Depends on what you plan on doing while in Guadalajara. We drive from Bucerias to GDL, but we like to have plenty of mobility to explore around.

BTW, if you are only going to Puerto Vallarta for a week and it is your first time there, you may not want to spend the time going to Guadalajara. It's about a 5 hour drive each way.

United States
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From PV to Guadalajara - Drive or bus?

Thanks a lot

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
460 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: From PV to Guadalajara - Drive or bus?

I love Mexico, and go whenever I get the chance, but I do not rent a car and drive around myself. There's too much of a hassle if you get stopped or get in an accident. The buses are awesome compared to here and inexpensive.

It is five (or maybe even six) hours by bus, but it's a nice scenic drive and you get to see some real rural and agricultural Mexico happening along the way.

My GDL video - http://youtu.be/-RvHBc12rfY

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From PV to Guadalajara - Drive or bus?

Splitting a week woth Pv and GDL is quite a lot. Can you extend your trip?

If you must see GDL, take the ETN bus that leaves PV at 1:00 AM- it gets you to GDL about 6:00 AM and you can take a taxi from the bus station to where you decide to stay. If you want to stay in Tlaquepaque, I like the Quinta Don Jose.

If you wan to stay in GDL centro area- I like the Porto Bello.

Taxis in GDL are cheap. Take the Tapatio bus tour to see the whole area.about $10 US.

Have fun!

Edited: 11:42 pm, June 09, 2011
United States
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From PV to Guadalajara - Drive or bus?

Thanks everyone, may be you are right and I should stay the whole week in PV and plan my next trip to Guadalajara!

st. louis
Level Contributor
45 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From PV to Guadalajara - Drive or bus?

I'd definitely consider doing both PV and GDL in a week. My wife and I have taken a bus to GDL a few times from PV and find it very easy & comfortable. I've enjoyed taking buses at night/very early morning so as not to interfere with the number of days I can enjoy at each place. If you've never been to GDL, I think 3 days at GDL and 3 in PV is a nice mix of a trip-- some time on the beach and some time in the city. You can get a very nice feel for GDL in a few days... it is a great city and not to be missed!

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,766 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From PV to Guadalajara - Drive or bus?

JMHO...but in only a week it is a lot.....Guad. is a grand city with so much to see and do, and PV is an awesome coastal place also with so much to see and do. It all depends on how much energy, time and things you want to see...to me 3 days would not be enough in either place....plus though it is only a 5-6 hour drive, it is a long, ride. I can spend a day alone in Tlaquepaque. I can also spend a day in many areas of PV, so a ten day trip would fit the bill much better but of course, it is your trip so however you do it, just have fun...

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,261 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From PV to Guadalajara - Drive or bus?

We did 11 days, 6 in PV and 5 in GDL and I would so much have preferred spending all 11 in GDL! Loved it there!

Don't get me wrong, love PV but GDL was the best! After 20 trips to Mexico this was my most favorite!

We took the ETN from PV to GDL, so cheap and so comfortable and so safe and easy

We stayed in a B and B in Tlaquepaque which was amazing! Shopping, eating and sight seeing was fantastic!

We made our flights to fly into PV and out of GDL which was a big help and saved time

Hi bezerk

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,766 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From PV to Guadalajara - Drive or bus?

Hey mcmommy, como estas? ( How are you? ) Happy to hear you loved Guad. It is a grand city. I like it too but not to vacation,think cause I have done the sight seeing and well go there frequently, for that matter headed there tomorrow early for treatment at hospital ( day or maybe an overnighter that's all), anyway 11 days would be a good mix for those wanting beach and city....So how did you like GDL airport? in comparison to PV that is? Next time you will have to go a tad further and visit Lake Chapala, where I am....Nice B7B's here as well and a spa retreat..., shopping, eating and maybe 2 days of sightseeing, if you research first....GDL certainly is different than PV...but both are great!!!

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From PV to Guadalajara - Drive or bus?

Shoping in GDl?.

Dont miss Galerias del calzado ( mall shoes) on Av Mexico and Juan Palomar yAarias.

Sersol