We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Aposento vs. Hotel Cervantes

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Guadalajara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
El Aposento vs. Hotel Cervantes

ZI'm trying to decide between these 2 hotels for a week's stay in Guadalajara. (Both offered by IMAC Spanis Language School which I'll be attending). El Aposento sounds like the more charming of the two, but I don't think it's air conditioned. Is AC needed, or is this an building that resists heat buid-up? H. Cervantes I know is air conditioned, but it sounds like a modern hotel anywhere in the world.

Any comments/recommendations on these hotels are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Queensbury, NY
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Aposento vs. Hotel Cervantes

What time of the year are you going? I don't think air conditioning is necesary at any time of the year, but definitely not from October to May. Remember you are at a high altitude, so humidity will be a non issue, and the nights will be very pleasant. When we stayed there in April, early mornings were cool. We stayed one week, and did not have air conditioning. Temperatures were in the low 80's during the day. Go for the unit that looks more appealing!!

Richard Laakso

New York City
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Aposento vs. Hotel Cervantes

Thanks for your advice. Seems like you've travaled around the Guadalajara area. I could use an opinion on something else: Is it feasible to explore Tonala & Tlaquepaque (sp?) while staying in Guadalajara center? Or is it better to move to a hotel or B&B in one of these areas? I have 3 free nights that I'd like to use to explore the Lake Chapala area. I don't want to move around every night, so if I could base myself in Lake Chapala town and then bus it to the other places or visit T & T while staying in Guadalajara (afternoons) that would be ideal. What do you think?

Queensbury, NY
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Aposento vs. Hotel Cervantes

We stayed at a B&B in Lake Chapala two years ago. I rented a car at the airport. One day we drove to Tlaquepaque for the day. Another day we drove to Tonala. Plan on eating lunch in Tlaquepaque. We had lunch and listened to an outstanding Mariachi band. There is no charge for the entertainment. A most memorable experience!! There are buses that go to Guadalajara from Chapala, and a day trip is quite doable. Last year we stayed at a B&B in Tlaquepaque for one night before flying back home. The B&B's there are quite nice, so I would consider that also.

Tucson, AZ
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: El Aposento vs. Hotel Cervantes

We are a group of 8 who attempted to make reservations at El Aposento months ago. We cannot seem to get an e-mail confirmation of our rooms. One of our group who speaks fairly fluent Spanish made a long distance call to El Aposento and THINKS she got a verbal confirmation. Again she requested an e-mail confirmation but we stilll do not have one. This has now been about five months! Any ideas?

New York City
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Aposento vs. Hotel Cervantes

Sounds like you tried to make a reservation a long time in advance; perhaps too long. My impression is that in Mexico, in the cities at least, you don't need to make reservations so far in advance. Perhaps that is the problem.

Why not try sending a letter? I suspect you'll get a response. Good luck.

I ultimately decided to stay in the Hotel Cervantes, although El Aposento sounded the more charming.

Regards,

Ann

Ajijic, MX
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: El Aposento vs. Hotel Cervantes

I taught at IMAC, stayed at the Aposento and ate fairly often at the Cervantes.

Cerrvantes is a fairly conventional hotel -- clean, reasonably modern, good food at reasonable prices. Big advantage: their dining room opens before classes start! But it's no different from a thousand mid-range hotels in Milan or Osaka or Oslo.

The Aposento reeks of quirky charm; it's a converted 16th-century mansion, quite beautiful. However it's apparently run as sort of a hobby by a small group of gay men who have more important things on their minds than running the business -- I doubt if any of them have ever run a hotel before. Very hard to tell who's in charge. Prices are negotiable, breakfast -- although free -- is OK but nothing special. I never saw them anywhere close to full -- got my choice of rooms both times with no reservation.

But I'd stay there again...

Andy in Ajijic

BTW, if you're attending classes at IMAC it's quite feasible to stay at the Aposento and take your meals -- or at least breakfast -- at the Cervantes. Or just stuff yourself at the pastry shop....

New York City
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Aposento vs. Hotel Cervantes

Am back from my trip. Glad I stayed at the Cervantes. It was very comfortable and conventient. Their breakfast of Huevos Rancheros was absolutely fabulous! I checked out El Aposento to see what I was missing and found the courtyard charming but the rooms (at least what I was shown) small and the shower totally open (no tub or curtain). Having experienced this before and not been happy with everything getting soaked from the shower, I was really glad I didn't choose this hotel.

As a PS; there is a vegetarian restaurant and health & whole foods store a block from the Cervantes that was a welcome break from the typical meat/cheese/bean/flour heavy diet in other restaurants. And the chocolate croissants sold in the health foods grocery store was absolutely the best I've ever had. So it became my staple for breakfast for 7 pesos! Held me for the better part of the day.

Marin County, CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Aposento vs. Hotel Cervantes

How was the language school? Would you recommend it? I am also looking to take salsa classes -- do they offer those as an extra activity?