We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Language Schools in Guadalajara

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
NSW
Level Contributor
113 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Language Schools in Guadalajara

I am planning to visit Guadalajara in Jan 2010 and planning to spend 3months+ in a Language school.

Has anyone recent experience at IMAC or other institutions ?Also Homestay advice?

Thanks, Andre

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Language Schools in Guadalajara

There are different options for Homestay near IMAC.

There are B&B, apartments, studios,suites into hotel with kitchen, and rooms into a house. Which would you prefer? Sersol

Tlaquepaque, Mexico
Level Contributor
89 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Language Schools in Guadalajara

Two Spanish language schools are located in the historic district of Tlaquepaque, a small village-like area of Guadalajara Metro that is known for arts, crafts, mariachi music and more. You could check out the Guadalajara Language Center (http://www.glc.com.mx/) and Culturlingua (http://www.culturlinguagdl.com/) and IMAC. We've had very good comments from both.

Good luck!

Arturo Magana

Quinta Don Jose Boutique Hotel

NSW
Level Contributor
113 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Language Schools in Guadalajara

Thanks for your reply, will check out those websites,

Cheers, Andre

Hackensack, New...
Level Contributor
334 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Language Schools in Guadalajara

There are also one month Intensive Spanish programs at the Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara (private university) and at the Universidad de Guadalajara - CEPE (public university). CEPE also runs 2 week intensive programs... I however do not know how they all compare, quality wise, and would love to hear from others who know such details.

Thornton, Colorado
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Language Schools in Guadalajara

I do not know anything about IMAC other than what is available on the internet, but I have twice taken courses at la Universidad de Guadalajara CEPE. Both times I had wonderful experiences. The program is very well managed, providing excellent support and resources for its students. The instructors are great and do an excellent job of presenting vocabulary and grammar, all in Spanish, through level-appropriate instruction. In addition to the content classes, CEPE offers workshops, such as Latin Dancing, Mexican cooking, Pottery, etc. They also offer weekend excursions to other cities and states in Mexico. These are at an additional cost.

For housing options, CEPE offers homestay and a B&B option. The CEPE campus is in a very nice residential area and most of the homestay homes are within walking distance to the campus. The B&B is closer to the downtown area, about a 45 minute walk to the campus, but 15-20 minutes by bus. The B&B offers single and double rooms with TVs and private baths. There are common areas – lounge with TV, kitchen, and laundry. Each resident has his/her own space in the refrigerator, as well as in cupboards. Coffee and toast are available every morning.

A big benefit for me, was that CEPE was part of the Universidad de Guadalajara, an accredited university. This made it much easier to get the transcript approved through accreditation agencies. (I needed the credits for recertification.) Being part of a university, it should be much easier to transfer credits to an American university. I do not know if this applies to your situation, but something to keep in mind.

Regardless of institution, you have chosen a wonderful city in which to learn Spanish. It will be an amazing experience! Buena suerte.

6. Re: Language Schools in Guadalajara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 03, 2010