We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colonial Cities - Christmas 2009

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Colonial Cities - Christmas 2009

Hi All - I'm beginning research for a Christmas trip and don't see exactly what I'm lookin for on the forums. Yesterday I happened upon REALLY cheap airfare to Guadalajara - so I grabbed it up and figured I'd decide what to do later! So, here's the scoop, I've got roundtrip air in and out of GDL Dec 24 - Jan 2. We're not interested in hanging out in a big city so would like to leave and see maybe 4 different places to enjoy a laid back "real" Mexico experience. Not necessarily all the hottest tourist spots - we're more about sidewalk cafes or a picnic by the lake or watching local artisans work than touring museums. We've seen every beach hot spot over the last 30 years so that's not necessary. Any thoughts on an itinerary that would start and end in GDL???

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colonial Cities - Christmas 2009

Guadalajara at IMO Mexico's finest hotel The Quinta Real, then Patzcuaro a most lovely 2 square town with fabulous crafts/history.

Then a hour away to Morelia Architecturally fabulous & one of cleanest cities in Mexico. Then another gem of Guanajuato. A nice circle via first class bus.

Now I would have no problem spending the entire time in any of these great cities.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colonial Cities - Christmas 2009

peddler's suggestions are fine but you could also consider Zacatecas, Guanajuato or even non-touristy Querétaro.

Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colonial Cities - Christmas 2009

Hi Dreams1,

I second SteveMex's suggestion to visit Guanajuato and Querétaro. Both cities have lots to see and do. Zacatecas is a beautiful colonial city, but will be frightfully cold during your visit.

You mentioned that you enjoy watching local artisans work. Since you will be in Guadalajara, I would suggest a visit to Tonalá and Tlaquepaque, both small towns on the southeastern edge of the Guadalajara metropolitan area.

Many of the handicrafts sold in shops in Tlaquepaque are made in Tonalá. There are lots of shops in Tonalá and some have attached workshops where you can watch the artisans at work. Many families have practiced the same handicraft for generations.

Also, on Thursdays and Sundays, Tonalá has a giant outdoor market that snakes through the streets in the downtown area for about 2 kilometers. We saw handicrafts from all over Mexico.

Have a great trip!

Cindi

San Diego...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colonial Cities - Christmas 2009

My vote goes to Guanajuato as well. Been to Patzcuaro and IMO there much more to see and do Guanajuato.

Mexico
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Colonial Cities - Christmas 2009

Hello Dreams1

There is a good deal for you.

At the Acapulco tourist Fare I came across a Cristmas trip deal for everyone interested in local artisans, Queretaro, a clean city does not offer what you are looking for. Tlaquepaque is the hot place for arts and crafts. There is a national, anual arts fare-competition every June 4-7 leaving the best arts and crafts for peanuts in the local shops. It is open to anyone. I would recomend you read the GUADALAJARA REPORTER article reproduced in following web page:

tlaquepaque-pueblito.com/noticias_tlaquepaqu…

(in English)

Your Christmas present is in gdltours look it up on the web.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Colonial Cities - Christmas 2009

I am living in Jerez Zacatecas now, so second Steve´s Zac recommendation, but only for a day or so at Xmas, it is COLD here. Actually Queretaro puts on an Xmas downtown thing that is really out of this world. Guanajuato is the place maybe like Cindi says you want to center selves - but check out Queretaro and maybe even go north to Zac, you do see Huichols working the crafts. - these are all very real places! And check out the celebrations... they differ town to town.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colonial Cities - Christmas 2009

Seriously happy no one is coming here as all are 20% discounts!

M

Guadalajara-Chapala
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Colonial Cities - Christmas 2009

Your timing is one of the best in Guadalajara. If you stay in the south side, where most nice hotels are located, you will have many places to browse around. I recommend Dickinson Guest House, reasonably priced, which you can find in Trip Advisor. You may visit Tequila with its many distilleries, the opals of Magdalena, the Guachimontones Pyramids, some of the nice haciendas, like El Carmen, close to the pyramids. You may also take a short trip to the Lakeside area, to Morelia, a colonial city, or Guanajuato. There are about 20 nice restaurants and cafes within 5 blocks, around the B&B I recommend, all within walking distance. If you need any tour to any of those places, I am a certified tour guide. Welcome to this area,

Ilse Hoffmann

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Colonial Cities - Christmas 2009

In December, we have gone to Barra de Navidad - 2005; El Careyes - 2006; Mazatlan - 2007, and Zihuatanejo - 2008.

We have tentative res for Zihua again this year, but may go to AUS/NZ 5 Dec - 5 Jan.

It's cool here in Dec-early Feb.

That said, I would go to Guanajuato; Queretaro; Tesquiapan; Zacatecas, or, especially, Patzcuaro and the surrounding pueblas!

M

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Colonial Cities - Christmas 2009

Thanks for all the great advice! I've got my itinerary laid out and am working on places to stay. I have one thing I'm having a problem with, maybe one of you that live in Guadalajara can help?

My grandfather died in Guadalajara in January 1993 and is buried there. I'm trying to find out where so that I can visit his grave. I've contacted the U.S. Consulate in Guadalajara and was told they couldn't help but that I can visit the general archive and request a death certificate and go on from there when I arrive. Problem with that is that I doubt they will be open during my stay from December 24 - January 2.

I'm wondering if there is a service that could get this information for me. Any ideas?