We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Five-Hour Layover

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Essex, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
342 reviews
Save Topic
Five-Hour Layover

We have a five-hour layover in Guadalajara on New Years Day. Would this give us enough time to make a quick trip into the city, or should we stay at the airport? Is the city close to the airport? Is there anything we could do with a few hours of time?

Thanks for your help!

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Five-Hour Layover

It's doable certainly however being only a visitor I have no idea what is opened. Telequapaque is actually fairly near the airport so if the shops are open a good place to check out.

Perhaps Mexicowinters or one of the others who actually live there could chime in.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
92 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Five-Hour Layover

Unfortunately, it would be in your best interest to stay at the airport and not take the chance of missing your connection. The time it takes to get into town and back alone with traffic would not leave you time to do much of anything. There is a restaurant upstairs that you could have a meal and a few drinks and people watch. Do not go to the restaurant downstairs! Layovers are the new deal in today's travel. And they get longer all the time. Come back and see us again, when you have time. It's a great city. That's my "chime in", whatever that means. Sounds like something my grandmother would say! I'll try to look it up on google! Have a safe trip.

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Five-Hour Layover

Thanks MexicoWinters. I think your approach is probably the safest, although I'll definitely heed your advice to visit Guadalajara again. It will be a very looooong day at the airport. :) Happy Holidays.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Five-Hour Layover

You know if I had a 5 hour layover in GDL and if it was at an optimum time of day: I would hop on a cap and head down to El Chololo. It's a birria restaurant off highway MX23 (the same one where the airport is located). Good food and a great atmosphere.

The restaurant has great atmosphere with outdoor dining, of course Mariachis! as well as other musicians. Trust me you don't get any more Mexican than this place. There are more than one of these restaurants, but of course you want the one near the airport. Once you hop on a cab it should be about 10-15 minutes away. Totally doable to have a nice relaxed meal and be back at the airport in plenty of time for your flight.

I should note that Birria is goat meat and it's very good, but if you are squirmish about that you can always have the beef birria.

M-

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Five-Hour Layover

Well, I've never had goat meat before, but I guess there's a time for everything! We'll see if my traveling companion is up for an adventurous lunch on that date (we get in around noon and leave at five). Thanks.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Five-Hour Layover

Well I can guarantee that if you end up going you will certainly come back to visit GDL. :)

I know that this is none of my business but I'm still curious, where are you headed off to?

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Five-Hour Layover

We'll be flying back from Puerto Vallarta to chilly Chicago... I'm trying to extend my stay in "warm weather land" as long as possible!

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Five-Hour Layover

"That's my "chime in", whatever that means. Sounds like something my grandmother would say! I'll try to look it up on google! Have a safe trip."

Well I'm probably about your grandmothers age although I am sure she is much wiser than I.

Chiming in just means adding you expert advise. Nothing else. At least it did back in the "olden" times.

As a over 23 year visitor to GLD I have never seen a time when 5 hours is not enough of a window to see a bit of sights. My only concern was/is what will be open on NY's Day. Telaquapaque is but a short cab ride away & allowing for 2 hour return should not a problem. Now if someone local can tell if any thing open or not.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Five-Hour Layover

B.G. Chicago,

I hear you about extending the vacation. If you decide to venture out come back to this thread and let us know how it went.

M-

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
92 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Five-Hour Layover

Hey B.G. Chicago,

If your flight does arrive on time and traffic is not heavy, Montego made an excellent suggestion! Goat threw me off at one time, but Chololo is great! The corn tortillas are hot and very fresh. You need to order beans on the side, and Mariachi music strolls throughout. If you happen to like Tequila, they put the bottle on the table, so you might want to keep track of time! It sounds like you are arriving at the right time. The place is huge, seating up to 1,000 people....so no problem getting a table! Hours are from 9-7PM, and serve Birria exclusively, just to let your traveling companion know that they can't just have the chicken! I believe they are celebrating being in business for about 65 years, so they are doing it right. Good call if all time limits are in order.

Is Charlie Trotter's still in the spotlight in Chicago? Loved it some years ago, but not in the winter! Safe trip!