We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guadalajara & Puerto Vallarta

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Scotland
Level Contributor
48 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Guadalajara & Puerto Vallarta

Hello

I am planning a holiday next January/February, flying to Guadalajara via Mexico City, I was thinking of spending a couple of days in Guadalajara then travelling through to Puerto Vallarta for a bit of relaxation by the beach!

Could anyone give me any advice on how long to stay in Guadalajara?

I was thinking 4 nights in Guadalajara then 5 nights in Puerto Vallarta

Would this be too long or too short for both?

Also does anyone have any recommendations of day trips/tours that are worthwhile around Guadalajara/ Puerto Vallarta and their outskirts?

Also how long does it take to get to Puerto Vallarta from Guadalajara and what is the best way to get there?

Thanks

Lucas

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guadalajara & Puerto Vallarta

About right for GLD. we spent a week there on our honeymoon which if any other time probably a day or 2 too long although we continue to return every few years especially enjoying our Luna de Miel (Honeymoon) suite #45 at the Quinto Real IMO the finest hotel in Mexico. Lots of great shopping both downtown, Telequepaque (one day only IMO), various malls including a all shoe store one near the Quinta Real. Carriage ride, Sunday on the Plaza, lots of museums to tour & an good zoo if of interest. I do not drink but many enjoy the trip to Tequila. Also just outside of the city is the orginal settlement (Spanish, the native inhabitants proved very hard to conquer) & their version of the Grand Canyon with a lovely waterfall.

You can bus through lovely country side to PV or take a short flight via Alma Airlines. PV is a busy place but still retains much of it's original charm especially in Old Town area.

Ideally I would spend 5 days at GLD & 10 in PV.

Scotland
Level Contributor
48 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guadalajara & Puerto Vallarta

Thanks for the quick reply Peddler

I am actually thinking of maybe having a week or so in Havana before Mexico, that’s why I was thinking maybe 4 nights in Guadalajara and then 5 in Puerto Vallarta, I like doing the beach holiday thing but sometimes I get a little bored, that’s why I was thinking maybe just 5 nights in Puerto Vallarta

Not sure if doing Havana before is a good idea or not, sounds like a lot of time flying considering I am coming over from Scotland

If I was to do Havana on the way back to the Scotland I am thinking of doing it flying from Mexico City and not Havana to cut out an extra flight

Thanks for the recommendations and information, Guadalajara sounds like a really interesting city, I saw the Tequila train tour advertised and could be worth looking into

Best Regards

Lucas

Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guadalajara & Puerto Vallarta

Hi Lucas69,

If you have time while you are in Guadalajara and are interested in handicrafts, a trip to Tonalá and/or Tlaquepaque is a must.

If you can, go to Tonalá on a Thursday or Sunday as those are the days with an absolutely Huge outdoor market (tables and booths line streets in the center of town for about 2 kilometers). Also, Tonalá has some shops that sell "seconds" at greatly reduced prices...they looked perfect to me!

The most comfortable bus to take from Guadalajara to Puerto Vallarta is the ETN line. It's more expensive than the other lines, but the seats are roomy, there are two bathrooms, a small galley where you can prepare hot tea or instant coffee, and individual headphones so you can listen to music or to the movie or to nothing at all.

Along the way, you will see field after field of agave plants (used to make tequila). In fact if you are interested, you can take a side trip from Guadalajara to see places where tequila is manufactured.

The trip between Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta is about 5 hours by bus. Once you pass the agave fields, the road becomes hilly and very curvy.

If you are at all prone to motion sickness, you should bring along some Dramamine in case you feel queasy. When my husband and I took this trip, we felt very queasy and several of our fellow passengers vomited.

Have a great trip!

Cindi

www.mexican-living-guanajuato.com

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
527 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guadalajara & Puerto Vallarta

Most of Guadalajara's main sights can be seen in two full days. Although the city is quite large, most of the downtown sights can be seen in one day if you don't dilly-dally. In the morning you can visit the Palacio de Gobierno with its Orozco murals, the cathedral, Plaza de los hombres ilustres, Teatro Degollado, and frisa de los fundadores, then walk over along a beautiful walk to the Hospicio Cabanas, and have a late lunch at the Mercado Libertad. After lunch, take the subway two stops west, then walk to the Museo de las Artes and the Templo Expiatorio.

The next day, take the TUR bus to the Basilica de Nuestra Senora de Zapopan and visit the Huichol museum. Take the TUR bus and go to Tlaquepaque where you can have lunch and visit the shops and ceramic museum. Depending on how much shopping you do, you might even be able to tack on a short visit to Tonala.

For one day, I would rent a car, then drive on the free highway to the Herradura tequila factory in Amatitan, then drive to Tequila and visit the Jose Cuervo tequila factory for an interesting contrast (the two are run quite differently). If you have another day, visit the Guachimontones archeological site. I was very pleased with the Holiday Inn-Centro Historico which is ideally situated and very comfortable (request a room not on the street).

PV has tons of things to do depending on your interests. Horseback rides, secluded beach towns accessible only by boat, zip lines, water sports, etc. It's one of my favorite cities on the planet--and I've been around. Don't miss dinners at Cafe des Artistes or the Repollo Rojo.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
527 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guadalajara & Puerto Vallarta

I forgot to add--when planning your visit schedule, remember that most museums are closed on Mondays.

New Hartford...
Level Contributor
159 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guadalajara & Puerto Vallarta

I've been to PVR three times and always felt that 5 days is just about right. That gives you enough time to see everything and still relax.

For side trips, consider Yelapa which is a small beach village in the jungle with no cars, about a 45 minute boat ride from PVR. Also, San Sebastian in the mountains, about an hour and a half drive from PVR has been highly recommended and we're planning to go see it on our next trip. I hear the best way to get there is to rent a car for the day from one of the agencies in town. A couple other nice day trips are to the smaller beach towns of Bucerias or Sayulita to the north which give you a bit of an escape from the crowds of PVR and a feel for more Mexican, less tourist-oriented beach places. Both are easily reached by inexpensive bus rides. Enjoy your trip!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,353 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guadalajara & Puerto Vallarta

You might also want to ask on the Puerto Vallarta Forum if you haven't already. I don't think Sayulita is particularly representative of non-touristy towns as it has a large population of ex-pat Americans. Not that it isn't a nice town, but I disagree that it's more authentic than Puerto Vallarta. There are lots of suburbs of Puerto Vallarta which are more Mexican than Sayulita.

Coastal towns in general tend to be touristy. It's always a balance as to which are more Mexican touristy or American/Canadian touristy.

I like Chacala for the moment.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
63 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guadalajara & Puerto Vallarta

I guess it really depends on how you like to travel and what interests you. I live in Guadalajara and would be happy to make some specfic suggestions if I knew the kind of things you like to do.

There are some great restaurants here and numerous interesting and scenic sidetrips if you don't mind driving. Driving, by the way, is pleasant once you get outside the city. Within a four hour drive you can reach a number of colonial towns: Zacatecas, San Miquel de Allende, Guanajuato, Patzcuaro and Uruapan.

Mexico has a wide variety of high quality crafts. One of the world's best knife makers lives an hour and half from downtown Guadalajara. There is a small tequila distillery in the same village. (They took top honors at the London Wine and Spirits contest a few years back.) Thirty minutes away is the village of Tapalpa...very picturesque.

You could easily and enjoyably spend your entire trip in the Guadalajara area, but then you'd miss all the tourists in PV.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guadalajara & Puerto Vallarta

Hello Lucas 69. If you are going to La Havana, considered Baradero for 4 days and 3 in La Havana. We liked both places very much.

About Gaudalajara 4 days will be good time. One or two days you will see the historical part in down town included the big market Libertad. Other day Tlaquepaque, is a must.

Tonala town particularly I don’t think is worth it. I would suggest better the pyramids of Teuchitlan or Tequila town tour. Welcome and enjoy México. Sergio

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Guadalajara & Puerto Vallarta

hello

i only have 1 full day to go from PV to guadalajara.

can you recommend a good market for overall shopping that's not very expensive.

and is there a bus from PV that goes or passes this market?

thanks for any reply!