We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Recommended Spanish-immersion programs for teens this...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
185 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Need Recommended Spanish-immersion programs for teens this...

We had already almost signed up my 15 year old son, my 14 year old niece and her friend at Kukulkan, and on another Mexico forum at tripadvisor, a mom just wrote and told me to definitely not send the kids there--they're too young, it's a party school, and some of the male teachers made unwanted advances at her daughter and friend, so they took them out. As a parent, this most concerns me, and wondering if anyone can recommend and school appropriate for teens, any experience w/schools in Cuernevaca or else?

Thanks so much.

Cuernavaca
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Recommended Spanish-immersion programs for teens this...

There are quite a few schools in Cuernavaca and some that attract mostly the college students. I'd suggest you look at Chac Mool for one, I know they have a family program there and I've never heard any negatives about the goings on there. There are a couple really large schools in Cuernavaca, those might not be the best choice for teenagers, typically they are party schools (as you say). Are you or another adult traveling with them? That would be my advice. Cuernavaca is a pretty safe place but it is better to have someone looking after them. I don't think you should expect the hostfamilies the schools offer to have the watchful eye that you have.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
185 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Recommended Spanish-immersion programs for teens this...

We were hoping the kids would have an extensive enough language program w/extra-curricular activities (the Becari School in Oaxaca offers lots of extras), and then the kids would also have some activities w/their homestay families, and lots of tours on weekends, and that would give them little down time, but lots of fun time.

Cuernavaca
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Recommended Spanish-immersion programs for teens this...

I think if you look closely at the different schools, in Cuernavaca at least, you will see they all have many extra-curricular activities. Field trips on the weekends and afternoons, fun evening classes, sports and games just for certain age groups. Try googling cuernavaca teen programs and see what comes up, then I encourage you to write them and specifically ask what they offer. Don't always trust the information on the website to be current.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
185 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Recommended Spanish-immersion programs for teens this...

The school does offer lots of other activities after the formal 4 hour daily language classes are done. And weekends, too. And I've been emailing the director almost daily, and we plan to speak with her by phone as well. Have spoken w/a teacher who sends many high school students to the school, and he highly recommmends it. Also, our kids are emailing other students from the U.S. and elsewhere who've attended the school.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Recommended Spanish-immersion programs for teens this...

Can you tell me if you have decided on a school and which school you picked? I am also looking for a language immersion school for my 15 year old son this summer. He spent last summer with a family in Oaxaca on an exchange program so I am thinking about Cuernavaca.