We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuernavaca - is it safe for american families with young kid

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Dallas, Texas
12 posts
Save Topic
Cuernavaca - is it safe for american families with young kid

I am considering taking my family to cuernavaca this summer for a spanish language course. Is this city considered safe for kids ( ages 6- 12). We do not speak spanish.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cuernavaca - is it safe for american families with young kid

Everywhere I go in Mexico, I see kids playing unsupervised, walking to school with friends, etc. Comparing that with the US or Canada, Mexico must obviously be a heck of a lot *safer* for kids.

Just make sure your kids realize traffic doesn't stop for pedestrians. It's not that they're *trying* to kill you, that's just the way it's done.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
midwest
Level Contributor
40 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cuernavaca - is it safe for american families with young kid

Jennifer,

The short answer is 'yes'; quite safe and your kids will probably have a ball. I base my answer on two 3 week visits to Cuernavaca in the past two years. I plan to return this summer with my 16 YO daughter who speaks no Spanish but has traveled some in Mexico. (We're taking classes too.)

Anyway, based on my experience, Cuernavaca is quite safe and there's plenty to keep kids busy. There are several water parks in the city and Las Estacas is nearby. Your 12 YO will probably also enjoy the Xochicalco Mayan site (plenty of things to to climb on... you can google Las Estacas and Xochicalco). Most of the city evening activities for families are in the central square (Zocalo) and surrounds which is perfectly safe and entertaining. Of course, exercise common sense. Watch the traffic, as in the US, nothing good happens after midnight, etc. Still, the punch line is that you and your children will be quite safe and most certainly have an enriching and lovely time.

Mentioned in this post
Zocalo
Zocalo
4,431 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Cuernavaca
Cuernavaca
Morelos, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cuernavaca - is it safe for american families with young kid

Jennifer, first of all let me clear that I´m from Cuernavaca, buy I objectively can say that is safe for your kids, I live with my family here with two kids, 10 and 6 and I had the chance to get a job some where else and I dicided not to move with my family. As you could see in other safety reviews, Cuernavaca as other cities in Mexico and in the World could be dangerous if you are related or to drugs or any other delinquency activity. Yes Cuernavaca as other city have some areas that locals won´t go at night or at any time if you don´t want to feel unsafe, and this places are not touristic neither are in the way of touristic areas don´t worry. I would recomended while you stay here, to go to "Las Estacas" and "Ex-Hacienda de Temixco" which are two nice and close Waterparks for your kids entertainment. Also you can visit in TripAdvisor Cuernavaca and "Things to Do" in other to have more information about Spanish Schools and other things that you could do o places to visit. I hope you dicide to Come.

Mentioned in this post
Cuernavaca
Cuernavaca
Morelos, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cuernavaca - is it safe for american families with young kid

i lived in curnavaca for two months during the summer of 1999 and i still tell people to this day that i have never felt safer than while i was in cuernavaca! i never felt that my life was in danger at any point. in fact i felt safer in cuernavaca than i do walking the streets of downtown Phoenix or Los Angeles. I would without hesitation take my wife and kids there one day.

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
5. Re: Cuernavaca - is it safe for american families with young kid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:42 pm, June 21, 2013