We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus travel Mexico City>Puebla>Cuernavaca>Taxco>Oaxaca

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cuernavaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
bus travel Mexico City>Puebla>Cuernavaca>Taxco>Oaxaca

A friend and I are planning a trip and would like to spend a couple of days in Puebla, Cuernavaca and Taxco and maybe a week in Oaxaca. We'll be flying in and out of Mexico City. ANY advice re bus travel, places not to miss, accommodations WITH WIFI would be appreciated. If we go by bus, can we get around in the cities by foot? Or, would renting a car be a good idea? (we are two women). Would love to hear your experiences with similar adventures.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus travel Mexico City>Puebla>Cuernavaca>Taxco>Oaxaca

I suggest you post in the individual city forums (Oaxaca, Puebla, Taxco and Cuernavaca) for accommodation recommendations - or just check the reviews on Trip Advisor in the hotels section.

Assuming you don't intend to spend any time in Mexico City, I also suggest you make your first and last cities Puebla and Cuernavaca (or vice versa) so that you can get a direct bus to/from Mexico City airport. That will save you a little bit of stress :))

Taxis are very cheap to get around town (you shouldn't spend more than 4-5 USD for any trip within the city limits) although if you stay centrally most of what you will want to see can be done on foot. If you intend traveling around outside of the towns (e.g. there are many nice places in the vicinity of Oaxaca) then you could rent a car there - or use a tour. I would not consider renting a car for the entire trip for many reasons - not least because one-way drop off fees will run in to hundreds of dollars

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus travel Mexico City>Puebla>Cuernavaca>Taxco>Oaxaca

Thanks Steve. We will be spending a couple of days in Mexico City - I've been there before but my friend has not. So we'll need to find the bus to Cuernavaca from central Mexico City. Does it only leave from the airport? I'm assuming buses from the other cities are not hard to get to. Just looking for confirmation of that I guess. And yes, we may rent a car just for Oaxaca.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus travel Mexico City>Puebla>Cuernavaca>Taxco>Oaxaca

There are 4 main bus terminals in Mexico City as well as the one in the airport.

For Cuernavaca you need the South (Tasquena) terminal. For Puebla and Oaxaca you need the East terminal (TAPO).

Edited: 8:08 pm, October 22, 2010
Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
78 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bus travel Mexico City>Puebla>Cuernavaca>Taxco>Oaxaca

Hi. I suggest that on the way to Puebla, you make a one day stop in Cholula, its a small nice town with many churches, huge pyramid in the very centre which is now more a hill with a small chapel on the top. From here you can see the Popocatepetl volcano in the distance.

All the places you mentioned are easily walkable.

In Cholula there are some nice middle range hotels on the main square, next to the park. As for Cuernavaca, I really liked "Hosteria del Sol", but I don't think they have wifi, other very nice place is "Casa Colonial":

http://www.iliveinmexico.com/Mesta/Cuernavaca-(Morelos).aspx

Hagersville, ON
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bus travel Mexico City>Puebla>Cuernavaca>Taxco>Oaxaca

I would suggest Casa Chocolate for a place to stay in Cuernavaca.... a very nice B&B and close to the downtown area. I have been there several times and you can get a taxi anywhere within Cuernavaca for no more then 40 pesos. Have also taken the bus to and from Cuernavaca to Mexico City. Enjoy your trip!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bus travel Mexico City>Puebla>Cuernavaca>Taxco>Oaxaca

Thanks you all. As of now, it looks like we'll only be in Cuernavaca for part of a day. We've booked two nights each in Taxco and Puebla and a week in Oaxaca, so Cuernavaca will be on the Taxco - Puebla bus route. We can have a few hours there between busses though. Is it the same bus station?

Is it worth rolling our bags around for 2 or 3 hours to see a bit of the city?

midwest
Level Contributor
40 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bus travel Mexico City>Puebla>Cuernavaca>Taxco>Oaxaca

Yes. From that bus station (Taxco route) you are only about a 10 minute walk from La Catedral de Cuernavaca and maybe 10-15 minutes from the Zocolo. The cathedral grounds will make for a much nicer place to relax between busses. Also, there are several good coffee shops and restaurants adjacent to the cathedral. If you are planning on eating I'd recommend the Marco Polo restaurant directly across from the main gate (2nd floor). MP has terrific balcony views and respectable Italian food. If you want something lighter, there is a sidewalk cafe with coffee and pastries directly across from the gate. I do not know, however, how one might store bags at the station.

midwest
Level Contributor
40 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bus travel Mexico City>Puebla>Cuernavaca>Taxco>Oaxaca

Sorry, I did not read all of your question carefully. I do not belive the stations are the same. If you come from Taxco, you will arrive at the station I mentioned. I *think* you will have to take a taxi to the Puebla station. However, my suggestions should still work for you because the taxi ride shouldn't be more than about 20 minutes to the other station.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bus travel Mexico City>Puebla>Cuernavaca>Taxco>Oaxaca

Thanks Hookem Very helpful info!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bus travel Mexico City>Puebla>Cuernavaca>Taxco>Oaxaca

Hi there

We are going to Cuernavaca in January and found this topic interesting - we'll just bus it, sounds easier.

Can I ask you what would be the best way to get into the tourist area in Mexico City from the bus station in the south of the city?

Many thanks

Shelagh McComiskey