We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuernavaca to San Miguel de Allende

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cuernavaca to San Miguel de Allende

Does anyone know if there is transportation (via van or car) available from Cuernavaca to San Miguel de Allende? Thanks

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cuernavaca to San Miguel de Allende

You can always find somebody to take you but it will cost a small fortune as that journey is several hours. Also you will have to pay tolls in both directions (about $60 round trip) plus gas and maybe somewhere for the driver to spend the night. You can always get a bus into Mexico City and then another bus direct to San Miguel from there. (Unfortunately there is no quicker driving route than going through Mexico City.)

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cuernavaca to San Miguel de Allende

Thank you so much. I was kind of expecting this. We have considered renting a car and driving or going back to Mexico City and getting transportation from there. Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
7,186 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cuernavaca to San Miguel de Allende

I just returned from Cuernavaca to San Miguel de Allende yesterday and did it by bus. Since I was with a friend who was returning to the UK, we took a bus to Mexico City airport together. I then took a bus from the airport to Querétaro and a second class bus home from there. It was an easy trip. Otherwise, it would have involved transiting by cab from Tasqueña bus station in the DF to Terminal Norte.

If you are interested in Mexican art don’t miss the new Muros Museum in Cuernavaca. It’s superb.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cuernavaca to San Miguel de Allende

Thank you. We have considered the bus but were concerned about the time it will take us. We only have 2 days in San Miguel and did not want to "waste" any time on buses. Would you be so kind as to let me know how long it took from Mex City Airport to San Miguel? Thank you.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cuernavaca to San Miguel de Allende

Time for Mexico Norte to SMA is 3.5-4 hours depending on departure time. Primera Plus has 3 departures a day, ETN has 4. Herradura Plata also run that service but their website doesn't work!

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,186 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cuernavaca to San Miguel de Allende

The official time for the bus from the airport to Querétaro is 3 hours but we did it in just over 2 ½ yesterday. The bus takes the new ring road and therefore avoids the city centre. The 2nd class bus from Querétaro to San Miguel de Allende takes an hour and a half or so, depending on the number of times it stops. It runs approx every 15 minutes. I was travelling with just an overnight bag yesterday so was able to get off at the traffic circle before the bus enters town and take a taxi home from there. If you have baggage then you might consider taking a cab from Querétaro bus station direct to your destination. It will take about an hour and cost you 390 pesos. I left Cuernavaca on the 9:05 airport bus yesterday and was in my house by soon after 4pm. But I did hang out at the airport with my friend for over an hour. I could have made the 11 am bus to Querétaro and with a cab I could have been home before 3pm. So reckon on about 6 hours all the way. A car might shave off an hour.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cuernavaca to San Miguel de Allende

Thank you both. I appreciate the information. Do either of you live in San Miguel? I know this is a silly question ...but are there any places to get a "latte:" or :"capuccino" in San Miguel. I know .. it sounds crazy .. but my husband loves his daily capuccino or latte. Thanks

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,186 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cuernavaca to San Miguel de Allende

Plenty of places to get a good coffee. Cappuccinos in Mexico are served in glasses and tend to be too milky for my taste. A nice place to sit outside is the cafe in the Bellas Artes patio.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cuernavaca to San Miguel de Allende

Thanks again. Looking forward to our visit in December..this will be our 1st visit to San Miguel. Any other recommendations? I have written down your recommendation for the museum in Cuernavaca.

10. Re: Cuernavaca to San Miguel de Allende

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, September 14, 2009