We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days in Central Mexico, suggestions on what to do?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
California
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
8 days in Central Mexico, suggestions on what to do?

Decided to take a trip next week. Flying into Guadalajara. Have 8 days to spend in central Mexico. Leaving from Guadalajara. Suggestions on what to do?

I have been to GDL twice before and loved the central area so plan to spend one night in GDL. Have also been to Guanajuato and loved it so plan to take the bus there to spend a few nights. As for the other nights, any suggestions? Is San Luis Potosi worth going to? What about a trip to Colima? Have heard from others San Miguel Allende is a bit too Americanized but that is just their opinion. I'm the type that loves to take a bus and then just walk around and enjoy Mexican cities. Your suggestions are appreciated!

California
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 days in Central Mexico, suggestions on what to do?

Sorry. Just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Responses still appreciated!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 days in Central Mexico, suggestions on what to do?

Look at Queretaro (less than 2 hours from Guanajuato). One of the largest preserved centros in Mexico, flat for walking, loads of churches, convents, markets, museums, plazas, spotlessly clean, plazas for outdoor dining, etc. Very important historically. Worth a couple of nights.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 days in Central Mexico, suggestions on what to do?

Come over to Zacatecas. Its a 5 hour bus ride, a UNESCO site, the whole town, incredible museums, a pyramid site 20 mins from centro. Please PM me if you want some guidance..

California
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 days in Central Mexico, suggestions on what to do?

Thanks for the suggestions on Zacatecas and Queretaro! I decided to do GDL, Guanajuato, and two nights in Zacatecas. I wanted to limit my trip to 3 destinations or else I'd feel like I'm the bus all the time. Next trip plan to fly into Mexico City and then go to Queretaro, hopefully next year!

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 days in Central Mexico, suggestions on what to do?

its funny Mexico, we all vote for our cities. I guess that means they are quite awesome! I love QRO also Steve, I spent a navidad there and that is just so beautiful. Danadian please let me know when you are coming, there are some insider events that are tough to dig up if you are not from here. Yes, I do work with turismo, but happily and for very little $$.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
324 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 days in Central Mexico, suggestions on what to do?

I think Queretaro is the best Mexican destination US tourists have never heard of.

7. Re: 8 days in Central Mexico, suggestions on what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 16, 2014