We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling Using Passport Card

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Oaxaca
4 posts
Save Topic
Traveling Using Passport Card

So I recently received the new Passport Card and have a question about it.

I know I can use it to cross the border from San Yisidro and Tijuna but what if I wanted to travel by bus throughout Mexico?

Could I use the Passport Card if I planned on traveling as far South as Oaxaca?

Basically, the question is if I can use the card for any bus travel within Mexico or are there limits on that as well.

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
San Mateo...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,766 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling Using Passport Card

The passport card has nothing to do with Mexican bus travel, it is only good to enter and leave Mexico by land, no good for airlines. You would only take it out of your wallet once, the day you enter Mexico...

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
7,280 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling Using Passport Card

Not true. You will have to show ID when you buy a bus ticket in Mexico and when checking in to hotels. You need to find out if the card isacceptedin Mexico away from the border areas. And what would happen if you have an emergency and need to fly home?

Edited: 6:14 am, January 26, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
San Mateo...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,766 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling Using Passport Card

From the US State Dept. website:

What is the passport card?

The passport card is the wallet-size travel document that can only be used to re-enter the United States at land border-crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The card provides a less expensive, smaller, and convenient alternative to the passport book for those who travel frequently to these destinations by land or by sea.

Why can’t I use the passport card to fly to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, or Bermuda?

The passport card was designed for the specific needs of northern and southern U.S. border communities with residents that cross the border frequently by land. The passport book is the only document approved for international travel by air.

I just finished driving all around Mexico for the last month and never asked by any hotel for identification and have never been asked when buying a

bus ticket, and as you can see from the state dept. you can not use it for airlines...

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,280 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling Using Passport Card

I have lived in Mexico nine years and I can assure you that I have been asked for ID, not always but it does happen. Usually when travelling by night bus, most recently when travelling between DF and Oaxaca.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling Using Passport Card

My understanding is that the passport card is equal to a passport with regard to the ID required by any Mexican government organization (as long as you aren't flying over a border) so I assume it should be acceptable to a bus company or anyone else. (Many places will even accept a drivers' license as ID.) If you are worried about it you could check with the Mexican consulate.

I cannot recall ever being asked for ID by a bus company except from MEX airport (where they are stricter than most places) or where I have booked in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Juarez Intl Airport
Juarez Intl Airport
Mexico City, Mexico
San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,280 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling Using Passport Card

True, my DF to Oaxaca ticket was pre booked. I am sure the card will work if need be, but a call to a Mexican consulate should clarify.

Mentioned in this post
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
San Mateo...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,766 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling Using Passport Card

Londinense, with a face like your photo I would ask for your ID also..

8. Re: Traveling Using Passport Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 28, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Central Mexico and...