We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico City Itinerary Advise

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Mexico City Itinerary Advise

My wife and i are leaving for two weeks in Mexico at the end of the month to celebrate our 30th anniversary (that gives you an idea of our age).

We are spending 1 week in Mexico City and environs and I would appreciate comments on our proposed schedule.

We arrive late on a Wednesday and will travel directly to our hotel to check in. We are staying at Nima Local House in La Roma.

On Thursday we plan to start the day at Chapultepec Park. We definitely want to tour the Museo Nacional de Antropologia and have 3:30 reservations for a tour of Casa Luis Barragan (I'm an architect). The other possibilities are tour either the Museo Tamayo Arte Contemporaneo or the Castillo de Chapultepec. Or just tour La Condessa. We would enjoy suggestions for local art galleries or authentic crafts. Then find a place for dinner either in La Condessa or Polanco.

For Friday we are taking an AM food tour with Sabores Mexico - either La Roma or Historical Center. We want to spend the rest of the afternoon exploring the Historical Center (this is on our Sunday list also).

On Saturday we are getting tickets for the Frida Kohlo Museum, want to also see the Museo Anahuacalli and the Bazaar del Sabado. One question is what time to get tickets to the Frida museum for. I keep seeing that going early means much shorter lines but I also hear that we should get the the Bazaar del Sabado early. Which to do first? Thought we would spend time exploring the San Angel neighborhood. Our hotel suggested we eat at the San Angel Inn. Any other suggestion of places to see or eat in this area?

Sunday we will return to the Historical Center and have tickets to see the evening Performance of the Folkloric Ballet.

Monday we are taking a private tour guide to Teotihuacan and have left the late afternoon and evening open.

Tuesday we plan to travel to Tepoztlan and stay there Tuesday and wednesday night. Then Thursday we leave for the beach part of the vacation.

I would appreciate any input or suggestions. Thanks!

Richard

Mexico City, Mexico
4 posts
1. Re: Mexico City Itinerary Advise

Hello Richard,

First of all congratulations on your anniversary. You will have a great time in Mexico I assure you. It sounds like you have a lot covered in your itinerary.

The anthropology museum is really big and it would take almost all day and a lot of energy to see it entirely, I am not sure if you could make it to any other museums on the same day, unless you want to see just part of it of course. To me, La Condesa sounds better to relax and have a nice romantic dinner with your wife with candles on your table, Polanco is more luxurious so it depends on your taste.

On Saturday, I would go to the Bazaar first and then to Frida Kahlo's house, there will always be a line at Frida's specially on weekends and the Bazaar is there only on Saturdays. Or I am thinking you could go to Frida's on Friday afternoon instead of Centro Histórico, depending on how long your tour takes.

Centro Histórico gets very crowded on Sundays, like, VERY crowded. There are more than 20 museums in about a 1 mile radius and you will love the architecture of every single building there. I believe you Sunday will be very well spent.

It sounds like you have been planning and researching a lot. There is never enough time to visit all the attractions in Mexico City (I haven't finished in 30 years), but I am sure you and your wife will love it the way you are planning it. Let me know if I can help with anything.

Best wishes.

Kain-FluentDrive

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Mexico City Itinerary Advise

Thank you for your reply. Given that Centro Historico is so crowded on Friday are there any particular sights that would be better to see If we go there on Friday afternoon also? I know what you mean about so much to see. It's been nearly impossible to narrow the choices.

3. Re: Mexico City Itinerary Advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, August 25, 2017
Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Mexico City Itinerary Advise

jjmexicocity - thank you so much. Very interesting. I had actually stumbled upon your blog site earlier and bookmarked the post on the Architecture Museum. There is just too much to see and do here....

5. Re: Mexico City Itinerary Advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 16, 2018
Get answers to your questions about Central Mexico and...