We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip from Zihuatanejo to Patzcuaro.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Trip from Zihuatanejo to Patzcuaro.

We will be coming back to Zihuatanejo next month for our usual June vacation. This time we will also be adding a side trip to Patzcuaro for 5 days. Can't wait, have been wanting to do this for years! My main question is, do I need to buy my bus tickets in advance from home? My plan was to wait till I get to Zihua and then purchase them at the bus station a few days early. Everything I have read on these forums gave me the impressions that it's okay to do it that way, but as the time gets closer, I'm starting to second guess that decision. We will be flying home from Morelia, so I only need bus transportation one-way. Would also love any tips, suggestions etc. on what to see and do, and what not to miss while in the Patzcuaro area.( restaurants for my husband) We already have a guide lined up for one day around the area, but the route is not planned yet, so please tell me the top places for him to show us. Thanks so much in advance! Looking forward to coming "home" again. :-) Any new things in Zihua is also welcomed.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,669 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip from Zihuatanejo to Patzcuaro.

Yes by all means, buy your bus tickets in Zihua when you are here. If it were me, I would do it a couple of days ahead...just to be sure. Sounds like you will have a wonderful trip! I think you will love Patzcuaro. Be sure to see the House of eleven Patios...casa de once patios. Each little shop keeps its own hours, so every time you go there you see something different. As well, be sure to visit nearby Tzintzuntzan, then Quiroga. You can wander the streets of Quiroga forever. Don't miss a lunch of carnitas in the square! Yummm. We bought much of our wood furniture in Quiroga and Patzcuaro, and we go there at least 2 or 3 times a year just to wander around....and have carnitas! Enjoy!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip from Zihuatanejo to Patzcuaro.

No need to book in advance - June is very low season for bus travel anyway. Spend some time in Morelia, visit Janitzio.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip from Zihuatanejo to Patzcuaro.

You most likely will have to change buses in either Uruapan or Morelia.

Since it is a one way trip I would go through Uruapan spending at least a half a day there at the lovely National park filled with cataracts, waterfalls & fauna. Have lunch at the restaurant that is just outside the park but overlooking one of the nicest waterfalls/pools in Mexico. Fresh Trout prepared as you wish with all the trimmings.

Another option is after the park rent a cab for about 250 pesos for the trip to Patzcuaro with a stop at the Archaeological parks at Timabato. A small pyramid highlights this stop.

Patzcuaro is in my top ten destinations in Mexico having visited a dozen or so times.

PS Buses hourly Uruapan to Patz.

Edited: 1:42 pm, May 23, 2014
Ixtapa, Mexico
Level Contributor
732 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip from Zihuatanejo to Patzcuaro.

Hi, I agree with Peddler, it makes more sense to bus to Uruapan and change bus there. The taxi fare is now 450 pesos to Patzcuaro. I travel to Uruapan ocasionally for shopping, I dont find it particularly attractive.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,669 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip from Zihuatanejo to Patzcuaro.

We use Uruapan for Walmart and Home Depot- but also never miss a stroll through the national park, which is beautiful and peaceful.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip from Zihuatanejo to Patzcuaro.

Patzcuaro is one of my favorite places as well. Best coffee on the Plaza Chica at Grand Hotel. Great shop with lovely pottery right by Surtidora on Plaza Grande. Consistent food at Surtidora...not fantastic but generally good..nice to sit outside here and people watch.

Visit Santa Clara del Cobre for everything copper. Our favorite shop there is Casa Felicitas. New museum in Tzintzantzun at the fortress is definitely worth some time plus the wonderful 400 year old olive trees.

If you like catrinas then visit Capula..there's a co- op type shop with a fabulous assortment...every size and range of prices and quality.

Second carnitas in Quiroga.

The market in Patzcuaro is a photographer's delight...

House of 11 Patios has great shops...best tablecloth/ napkin shop is tucked in the courtyard near the banos.

Great street food in Patzcuaro as well....am envious as we won't be back there till next January

Plymouth, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip from Zihuatanejo to Patzcuaro.

Thank you all so much for the responses!

My research must have been pretty good, since all those places are on my list. :-) But the details of names and locations of restaurants and shops etc. Traveller47, is so very helpful! We have Jaime/Animecha Tours hired for our day tour, another day set with him for Morelia on the day we fly home. Excited to see that city as well. I know we won't scratch the surface of the area, but assume it will be the first of many visits, like Zihuatanejo has become for us.

This is also a research trip on a possible retirement location(5 years). We're hoping for somewhere close to Z. but with a little more agreeable weather, doubt I could take the tropics year round anymore(health reasons). Is this an expat area, not checked into that much yet?

Thanks again everyone, and keep the info coming! I love reading about your 'favorites'!!

Oh, and two more things..... where do I catch a bus to Barra de Potosi and how easy is it? We always plan to go there, but always end up being too relaxed to make the effort. And also wondering how the dredging project is going and what to expect there......Mil Gracias

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip from Zihuatanejo to Patzcuaro.

You get the, bus to barra at the bus station in centro..a Petetlan bus..then get off at Los Achotes. Walk about 1/2 block in to Los Achotes and the pasajero will be parked on the corner on the left. We have stayed in La Barra for 10 years ..absolutely worth it. Book a lagoon tour with Avi , ( Shark Boy).

There are a few expats in Patzcuaro. It's a lot cooler in the winter..as in bloody cold some mornings lol. Where are you staying there?

Plymouth, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip from Zihuatanejo to Patzcuaro.

We are staying at the Hotel Mansion Iturbe, requested a room overlooking the plaza. Bloody cold mornings in Mexico will still beat the last 19 years of Wisconsin winters! jajaja Thanks for the info.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,669 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip from Zihuatanejo to Patzcuaro.

We stayed there just 6 weeks ago. It is quite charming. However, we had absolutely terrible meals in the restaurant. We also overlooked the square and it was great. One of the reasons we chose this hotel is because there is heat in the rooms. They don't turn it on until the evening (we thought at first that it wasn't working!), and the temperature is controlled, but it was plenty warm enough even for us tropical folks. Many hotels do not have any heat source...just extra blankets...which does not help the tip of your nose! During November through February, it usually dips below freezing during the nights. Much too cold for us!