We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Alcohol on Sunday

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington...
5 posts
Save Topic
Buying Alcohol on Sunday

This is our first trip to Zihuatanejo we arrive on Sunday at 2:15 in the afternoon. Is there anywhere to buy Alcohol on a Sunday afternoon.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,609 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Buying Alcohol on Sunday

Have a great trip, I am VERY JEALOUS!! On the bright side, it is finally spring here!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
47 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Buying Alcohol on Sunday

I should have stated 'Guerrero' state, pumpermom, rather than the whole of Mexico. My experiences in Mexico did not include Quintana Roo so I missed the mark on the Sunday closures there. But you can buy liquor on Sundays in Zihua which is the answer that the original poster asked for. I'll be testing out the Sunday theory this weekend as we arrive too late in the afternoon on Saturday to run around buying booze.

BC
Level Contributor
4,191 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Buying Alcohol on Sunday

Have a good trip!

On our recent trip, we went to the Commercial Mexicana to see if the liquor was a good price there. I was surprised to find it was more expensive (well the tequila that I was pricing out was). I've liked the liquor store downtown Zihua, with the very friendly older gentleman owner.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
47 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Buying Alcohol on Sunday

On which street is the downtown liquor store located? Do you happen to remember the name?

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Buying Alcohol on Sunday

One is La Cava on the corner of Nicolas Bravo and Vicente Guerrero. There are several others.

Monument, Colorado
Level Contributor
814 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Buying Alcohol on Sunday

Cjc42- I lived in Duluth for many years, so we had the option to drive across the bridge to Superior Wisconsin for liquor on Sundays. Never did make any sense to have Minnesota liquor stores closed. I can only imagine the taxes they lose to all the people who cross the border on any given Sunday.

BC
Level Contributor
4,191 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Buying Alcohol on Sunday

--La Cava on the corner of Nicolas Bravo and Vicente Guerrero--

Yes, that is the one I like. The owner is just so nice and was phoning around to find a product for me.

Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Buying Alcohol on Sunday

We are in Mazatlan now and just were rushed through the grocery line to beat the 2 pm deadline on Sunday to purchase alcohol. So it's definitely a rule in some places. I found this thread after searching to find out more because we weren't aware of this.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Buying Alcohol on Sunday

On the subject of liquor, can anyone give me ball-park estimates of the price of a case of beer? Is there a significant difference in price between the Comercial Mexicana and the convenience stores?

Thanks.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Buying Alcohol on Sunday

All types come in 12's, some in 24's. Negra modelo, hubby's fav, only comes in cases of 12 and the price is usually about 130 pesos, plus deposit which could be another 30-40 pesos. Victoria & Corona come in 12's & 24's, and the price is about 225 pesos for a case of 24...plus deposit. When you go back to back a new case, take the empty case & eliminate the deposit fee....must be in the original carton. At Comercial hubby doesn't bother with this- just too complicated. At the smaller stores, he take the old carton back. Comercial is more expensive, generally, than the smaller stores, but only by about 20-30 pesos on a case of 24. One of the depots (one is on the canal street "Boquita de Paseo", just before the curve at the Scotiabank) will give you the best prices. There is another on Mex 200, called Modelorama, close to Comercial (toward the airport from the Comercial street)

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo