We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10% Suggested Hotel Maid Gratuity????

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
10% Suggested Hotel Maid Gratuity????

Hotel Don Francisco has informed me via email of their "Suggested 10% Hotel Maid Gratuity". I'm all for tipping, but this seems excessive. Any tips.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
7,928 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10% Suggested Hotel Maid Gratuity????

I usually tip 3-5 dollars per day, which would be pretty low if my room cost $100 per day, so it does seem high to me.

Cottage Grove...
Level Contributor
186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 10% Suggested Hotel Maid Gratuity????

I believe the gratuity is split with the other employeses, and they add it to your bill at the end of the stay-- bit more than suggested.

If you are paying over $200 a night a 10% tip is too much.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10% Suggested Hotel Maid Gratuity????

As a general rule, stay away from any I/Z property that wishes to add gratuities to your bill!

Gratuities are just that. and should be left in the room for your maids. If it is added to the bill, then the management is either getting part or in some cases ALL of it.

DON"T STAND FOR IT!!

GO ELSEWHERE!!!!!

Keith

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,762 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10% Suggested Hotel Maid Gratuity????

Labrat...many of the smaller properties are now doing maid gratuities...BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE NOT TIPPING ANYTHING...and some can leave quite a mess. (Ever taken a look at some of the Dorado rooms after people check out...pillows in the bathtub soaking, vomit in the dresser drawers, all in a days work for a maid...DON'T THINK SO)...Certainly not 10% tip, but most are like $3 for a one bedroom per day. It is because of how people are....that this is becoming necessary...and the properties that I represent...the MAIDS DO get the gratuity...because I check and make sure. The tour companies out of Minneapolis also include maid gratuities and belllman gratuities...and most of those poor employees at the Ixtapa hotels have never seen the color green...really sad. Some people think a extra beer a day is more important than taking care of the person that makes their life so comfortable..but these are also the same people the to write and comment about how they loved their bartender...how great the maids were and all about their new friends...yet never left a dime of gratitude.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10% Suggested Hotel Maid Gratuity????

Hi Judy!

Hot enough for ya up there? LOL

Since we are on this topic, I have a question for you.

You know that we like to stay at the Dorado, and we always discount the Maid/Bellman charges from Worryfree as just an extra charge to the hotel. We generally leave 50 pesos a day for the maid, and tip the bellman when used. That said, do you have any idea if in general, the maids are tip sharing or not? The reason I ask, is that at the end of the stay, we usually like to leave a bigger tip, say 200 to 300 pesos, on that last day, and I have always been concerned that the maids that took care of us all week, were the maids that got that last days tip.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10% Suggested Hotel Maid Gratuity????

good god, judy! that is HORRIBLE!

the catalina had that tacked on to our room charge & we never gave it a thought, left 50 pesos a day for the maid every day. and we are the type who straightens the room, makes sure the bathroom is decent, etc., before we leave in the morning.

i DID have an incident once...in nevis. i had an allergic reaction in the middle of the night.....got to the benadryl in time, but fainted, & split my head on a wall corner (requiring 5 stitches) ....& vomited in the morning. so the poor, poor maid had to deal with vomit AND blood. i'd have tried to clean it up myself, but i was in NO way capable of doing that at the time.....we left HER fifty extra bucks in addition to the normal tip and i personally apologized profusely. (she said, "no problem, i have children" LOL)

i will NEVER understand some people's attitudes :-(

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,762 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10% Suggested Hotel Maid Gratuity????

Labrat...who ever cleans your room and sees the money gets it!! So the lucky one is the one who cleans the day you leave....that is very nice that you leave such a nice tip for the maids...they do appreciate it, I know...and I bet their smiles and Hola's to you are extra special.

Dogmom...I was staying at a Ixtapa hotel on a long term basis...and would clean my room and have it all neat before I would leave (yes, I shampoo before I go to the hairdresser, too!!)...the gals always said it was "vacation" to clean my room...fast and quick. One of the gals knocked on my door one day and motioned for me to come and see...and all she was doing was crying and saying "no vacation"....there had been 4 guys in the room, and unfortunately they were from Minneapolis...so off my charters...the jerks. They had used the shower for the toilet and the pillows for toilet paper, enough beer cans to have wallpapered the room, and vomit in both nightstands as well as on the floor by the davenport bed. They had left lots of their clothes behind...just apparently woke up in time to grab a cab and hit the airport...I turned them in to the tour company and we did hit their credit cards for the repairs/cleanup on that room. Lots of protests from them, but easy enough to win that case! If you are going to destroy a room...never pay with a credit card...moral to this story! It is one thing to have happen like to you...another totally different thing what they did. And DOGMOM... your animal pictures made my rough day smoother...those little kitties warmed my heart...hard to NOT adopt something so fuzzy and warm...

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10% Suggested Hotel Maid Gratuity????

In that case Judy, next year I will have to readjust the daily upwards, so that if the maids change, they all get a taste!

And yes I have actually been chased down the hall to be givin the handfull of candies! LOL

Keith

P.S. last year left the 10 dollar soft sided cooler at Las Brisas for the maid (yes, attached the signed note) I thought she was going to rename her child!!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,762 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10% Suggested Hotel Maid Gratuity????

The Ixtapa/Zihua people are so wonderful...and you know it! It is hard to do something for them...they always try to one-up you!! Little treats, small gifts...they are just so wonderful! And COOLERS do seem to make them happy! I think it is because they like to go to the beach like you and I...and they can fill the cooler and keep the kids into beverages! One of my friends has placed his "order" for a 6-pack cooler for his day off at the beach...Got it already in my Zihua friends stash of gifts!! Nice that you care so much about the people...and you sure DO see happiness from all of them.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10% Suggested Hotel Maid Gratuity????

good god, judy! hard to know what to say about THAT story! other than i'm glad damages could be recovered (although i doubt that poor maid ever DID recover totally)... honestly, i don't care HOW drunk a person is, for some things there is just NO excuse! what miserable excuses for human beings!

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo