We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport ATM(s)???

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
bellingham...
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Airport ATM(s)???

I have read numerous threads in this forum on ATM's. However, I still have a few questions. How many ATM's are at the airport? I've heard that ATM's run out of pesos on holiday weekends. Is that the case at the airport too? We are arriving on Monday, November 18th (holiday). So, I'm just trying to figure out how to get some pesos. Thanks.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,536 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Airport ATM(s)???

depending on the rate they use, and what the service charge is like, you might be better off getting all the pesos you want before you leave.

That is what we started doing, as we got tired of running around always looking to break the 200s and 500s the ATM machines give you.

We order pesos from our bank, they give a decent rate and charge us $8 no matter the amount- the ATM charges when in Mexico are $5 per withdrawal. And we specifiy we want a lot of 20s and 50s for tipping, buses/taxis, small purchases.

It is not as economical as getting them there from the ATMs-but it is not that much more. And yes, you have to carry and envelope of pesos from the airport until you can store them in your room safe. But for a short vacation, we like the ease and worry-free method of doing things- and having lots of small peso bills.

We stay non AI and budget for about 1200 pesos a day for food/drink/incidentals, plus fishing and diving, etc.- some days are less, some more. And we bring our ATM cards in case we need more, and ccs in case of emergencies, of course.

12. Re: Airport ATM(s)???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 11, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo