We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guitar fest wrapup

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Guitar fest wrapup

Received the following today on this very raining North California day

"The Zihuatanejo International Guitar Festival 2013 was another year of incredible music in beautiful Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo, Mexico.

After a month (or two) of rest, recuperation and reevaluation, we have now finished our year-end accounting and wrap up statements and have updated our website, www.zihuafest.info.

Where you can read the Final Press Release and an honest appraisal from ZIGF Director, Catherine Krantz, in the 2013 Director’s Wrap up letter. She talks candidly about where we are after 10 years of music festivals on a shoestring and what the future holds (and how much of it, is uncertain).

You can see the 2013 Financial Statements, if you want to know what we earn and what we do with it. (We do a lot with very little, but it´s not sustainable.)

We are asking for your input.

Send us a note, a letter, let us know what the festival means to you and if you think Zihuatanejo can or should keep it going.

Keep checking back with the website over the summer, we will be updating it with some great changes, including adding the complete ten years of artist archives, where you can keep up with all the great musicians you have met at ZIGF over the years.

Edited: 6:03 pm, May 27, 2013
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,452 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guitar fest wrapup

Here's the most important part of that website...showing their huge losses for this year...and that nothing went to Zihuatanejo to the kids for music...sadly.

zihuafest.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/20…

Still never figured out why they have to bring in musicians from all around the world...when they have such excellent music all over Mexico...and RIGHT within Zihuatanejo...yet most of those musicians in town are sadly overlooked...and those musicians take it very personally. But they never want to know my viewpoint...or the local musicians.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guitar fest wrapup

Perhaps you could volunteer to assist the effort as many of us did, Ir is SO easy to criticize from the side lines Judy.

WISCONSIN..U.S.A
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Guitar fest wrapup

Hi peddler..would LOVE to go to Guitar Fest...but.!!! they never post the dates for the next year early enough to make plans..am already looking for 2014..air/rooms etc..last year we missed it by a week because it was to costly to change our plans..so what are the dates for 2014..????? not on their website yet..EK..

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,452 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guitar fest wrapup

It's right in their information off their website.

**2014 dates are set for March 2 – 9, 2014. I have no idea what we will be able to afford or what we will be offering next year. At the moment we are focused merely on fund raising to pay off the past year’s debt. But I am sure sometime in the next year we will find a solution, and as long as you show up, I am sure we will put on a great show. Hope to see you there**

5. Re: Guitar fest wrapup

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:06 am, January 17, 2015
Traverse City...
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Guitar fest wrapup

It would hardly be an "International" Guitar Festival if they did not bring in artists from all over the world! And perhaps you missed the Ritmos de Brasil event in January (which of course you did Judy since you never come to Zihuatanejo or Ixtapa ) which was an incredible event for music for the children of Zihuatanejo.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guitar fest wrapup

Guess your still upset because Mom liked me best huh Johnny? As Mextravel points out Ole Jude has not set a foot in Zihuatanejo in 5 years so her opinion has no relevance to any thinking person.

Edited: 11:59 am, May 29, 2013
UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guitar fest wrapup

sounds like Peddler "volunteered"...that's a good thing no?

I have to admit...much of the time I am in Zihua...I too am drunk. :)

btw...who's Phil?

Edited: 1:21 pm, May 29, 2013
Alberta
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guitar fest wrapup

Having stumbled upon ZFest in 2012 and returned to be awed this past March, perhaps we should focus our discussion on ensuring the festival not only continues (because it's so much fun for) but thrives, to the benefit of the permanent community, in particular, the children. What is the opinion on costs? From my personal experience, I would be more than willing to pay a little more for such fabulous entertainment. I mean, really, where else can one go for 3 hours of world class entertainment and the opening and closing shows were absolutely STEALS!

Alberta
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guitar fest wrapup

We love ZIGF so much we decided to become a sponsor. Why? Because we want to see this festival prosper. Because we appreciate the Festival's commitment to providing fine musicians from around the world a chance to raise their profiles; because we love Zihuatanejo --the City and it's people-- as a lovely, SAFE vacation destination; because it's our way of acknowledging all the hard work the organizing committee does; because. . . and this list goes on. PLEASE, if you find enjoyment in ZIGF, we challenge you to make a contribution by becoming a sponsor or donating to ZIGF

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo