We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bicyles in Zihuat

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
penticton
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bicyles in Zihuat

We are staying in Zihuat for 3 weeks in Jan-Feb and my husband likes to bike, is it a good idea to bring a bike from home or are there many rental places or could he buy one there?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,278 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bicyles in Zihuat

It is tricky to bike around Zihua, in parts downright next to impossible- due to the mountains.

Much of the resort part of the city around the bay is on the side of mountains.

Centro would be okay....maybe the flat part of La Ropa...where are you staying?

Edited: 2:48 pm, January 03, 2013
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
46 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bicyles in Zihuat

I stated an answer similar in an earlier post. Your husband's best bet is to go into Ixtapa where they have a great manicured bike path that leads into a croc. sanctuary. The distance I believe is 5km each direction, but someone correct me if I'm wrong, it may be 10 I forget. The rentals are not the best bikes, but yes in Ixtapa there are options to rent... so if you or he is a serious bike rider you may want to bring your own. I do see road bikes all over the bike path and others can even direct you to great roads and trails that I myself don't know. Ixtapa is a short cab or bus from Z where you are staying. El Centro in Z is a lot of cobblestone and like Rissack said very hilly near the La Ropa area.

penticton
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bicyles in Zihuat

Thank you for your replys....we are staying at Quinta Camelinas for 2 weeks and then one week at Casa Adriana.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,278 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bicyles in Zihuat

Oh yes, then bikes will be a problem, especially at Casa Adriana, which has a VERY steep hill down to Calle Adelita. You will see! Have a great time. :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bicyles in Zihuat

The other thing your husband might want to know is that many of the roads here are cobblestone-like. And they're poorly maintained. Honestly, I wouldn't consider riding a road bike on 'em, much less bringing my own bike from home. We've been in Zihua for the past 8 days, and other than the 3-wheeled cycles people use to cart goods around town, I haven't seen a bicycle on the road.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bicyles in Zihuat

Quite agree with the others if it's exercise he wants do as much swimming as possible-much safer.

7. Re: Bicyles in Zihuat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, January 06, 2014