We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Eve in Zihuatanejo

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
New Year's Eve in Zihuatanejo

We'll be there, staying at Bungalows La Madera. Should we plan on creating our own party, or will there be celebrations going on in restaurants or other venues around town where four Americans who speak very little Spanish would be welcome and enjoy?

Thanks!!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,669 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year's Eve in Zihuatanejo

I'm sure you would be very welcome in all restaurants. If you make your own arrangements, you might consider dinner on the beach (La Ropa), followed by watching the fireworks that are visible from the La Ropa beach. You can see many different displays of fireworks from several different locations from the beach. Best of all worlds.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year's Eve in Zihuatanejo

Not on the scale of Times Square or even Puerto Vallarta but a nice friendly crowd at the Zocalo.

Have a great meal at the restaurant of your choice (Manglar would be my choice) then watch the fireworks.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
354 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year's Eve in Zihuatanejo

We thought NYE would be quite low key in Zihua and thought we would 'play it by ear'...mistake...we couldn't get into a restaurant on La Ropa...so it wouldn't hurt to make reservation somewhere if that's what you want to do.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year's Eve in Zihuatanejo

We have done New Years a few times in Zih . There is a downtown beach area with many tourists of all types walking it's length and gathering at a basketball court that doubles as a band stand and performance area . There are often food vendors and sometimes crafts and other wares to look at . This area is made for gatherings and is always a nice place to walk . There are many restaurants in this area in all price ranges , some right on the sand which we prefer for low prices , good food and attentive service . The lack of spanish is zero problem . Last year my wife was encouraging a local little girl to really dance as she was shyly only half dancing . They danced together a bit and then the beautiful little girl tentatively came over and planted a big wet kiss on my wifes adoring cheek . That's pretty friendly . Something we will never forget . We get up early and so we return to La Ropa for the very impressive fireworks display across the whole bay that Linda mentions . New Years or any other time the people are very welcoming and truly appreciate your business . You'll love it . Too many choices . My fondest hope is to be there again this year .

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year's Eve in Zihuatanejo

We'll be staying on Madera Beach (Brisas del Mar). Do you think we'll be able to see the fireworks from our hotel or would we be better going out to La Ropa beach?

Many thanks,

Monika

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,669 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year's Eve in Zihuatanejo

I haven't tried to see the fireworks from Brisas del Mar- we are always on La Ropa and that would be my bet for the best view....just my opinion though.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Year's Eve in Zihuatanejo

Thanks for the insights, advice, and recommendations. Love the story about your wife and the little girl, juanrojo. I'm guessing that basketball court area is the Zocalo peddler665 referred to? Any restaurants around there to recommend, or are the restaurants on La Ropa that much better? We'd prefer to walk from La Madera if it's not too much trouble.

Edited: 11:57 am, November 23, 2012
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Year's Eve in Zihuatanejo

Thrumylens- yes great resturants there also. Daniels, The Marinia Cafe to name two. Reervations encourged at all.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Year's Eve in Zihuatanejo

There are many restaurants to choose from both on Calle Adelita in Madera and along the beach walk on either side of the zocalo . We often walk down the pier as well . I remember we ate at Lety's both last Christmas eve and New Years eve by chance , with no reservations , and also saw some cute little girls running around there a bit as well on both special nights . Most family run places will stay open as long as you are buying something . Kinda like the Doritos commercials say , We'll just make more . We always eat one night at Arcadia , on the madera end of Playa Principal , out of habit and frugality but there are many , too many great choices . That one night I would pick a place out of Madera to see more folks . Walk to town from Madera on the main road rather than the beach sidewalk at least one night at this time of year to see all the pinata vendors and others along the canal and some city Navidad decorations as well . Fantastic photo ops , especially for serious photographers .

10. Re: New Year's Eve in Zihuatanejo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, December 16, 2013