We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about drinking

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
8 posts
Save Topic
Question about drinking

This will be our first trip to Zih for my husband and I. And we haven't traveled Mexico, so we are not familiar with many things. We have been given a some mixed responses regarding what to drink while we are there. We know not to drink the water. We have been told to not drink anything with ice in it (i.e. mixed drinks, margaritas) by some. By others we are told to drink ice at certain places (nice restaurants/resorts). Can anyone provide some recommendations on what we should avoid? I would really like to enjoy some margaritas but not if there is a serious risk of getting sick, as I want to enjoy my vacation illness free.

*Suggestions of places to visit, things to do and places to eat are also welcome.

We are staying at Villa Mexicana. Thanks in advance for your help!

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about drinking

Most all resorts and restaurants there serve drinks with safe ice and if your hotel does not have purified water in your room, you can purchase bottle water cheap all over town. You can even brush your teeth with the tap water, you just don't want to drink it. We have been going there for 25 years and have never experienced a problem with drinks or eating salads and veggies there. But when it comes to water, more importantly is that you consume enough "water" (margaritas and Corona do not count) to avoid dehydration. Dehyrdation and sun poisoning will give you all the symtoms of montezumas revenge and more and is often blamed on food poisoning or drinking bad water. Google "lime juice health benefits" and you will also see why it is good to use natural lime juice in your drinks and over your food. Usually the "others" who give you all that advice are getting it from someone's brother's uncle who lives next to a guy that knew a woman who's kids went down to Mexico for spring break and got sick drinking the water. Put your fears aside and enjoy your trip.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about drinking

Most (but not all) restaurants these days will be using ice made from purified water. I would think that anywhere you are likely to go, you will be fine. If you start visiting the local taco sidewalk cart in a local neighbourhood, then I would advise more caution.

The above poster is correct- a lot of folks have a down day or 2 because of the alcohol consumed on a hot beach. When you aren't used to lots of sun and lots of alcohol, the combination can take its toll.

I hope you have a wonderful visit to Zihua.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,836 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about drinking

The only ice to worry about is if you order a bucket of beers...the ice that is surrounding your beer bottles is probably just chunked ice broken up...so do not use that ice.

Other ice in drinks in all restaurants will be fine...they all buy it from the same ice company, as most do not have fast enough refrigerators or ice makers to keep up with the clients needs...it all comes in a huge plastic bag and is delivered sometimes more than once a day. Only problem with that ice is if they just dump the bag and all into a sink and use it...the bag may be dirty, but most tourist restaurants are pretty aware of what makes tourists sick...and they don't want the blame!!!

I NEVER brush my teeth in the Zihua water...and I keep my eyes closed in the shower to keep any water out of my eyes...the first place to transmit any bacteria into your system.

But as Ted said...DRINK LOTS of water...the heat and humidity will get to you ...and margaritas, coffee or beer does not count for hydration!!

The food at the Villas Mex, Dona Prudencia restaurant is very good...a "different" menu than other restaurants...and never had anything bad there. Good choice for hotel pick.

Come on down and just enjoy!!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about drinking

Don't forget to wander down the beach (south) to restaurant El Manglar- the one with the wooden bridge over the estuary. 27 spice tuna to die for...and everything else is also amazing.

United States
Level Contributor
738 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about drinking

congrats on booking your first trip to zihua

I highly recommend you drink double or triple the amount of water you normally drink. The sun is hot and the beaches lovely so you will want to be busy and enjoying.

we traveled to zihua and I had margarita's, daquiris, mojitos and beer from all these places and no one in our group got sick:

Hotel irma,

also down on Maderea Beach: Bistro Del Mar, Hotel Caracol roof top Bar and the beach bar just below Irma.

On Laropa: Elvira's' Patt'y's, Rossy's, Catalina Hotel,s sunset Bar.

On Las gatas Otilla's

Little mom and Pop Places on your way into town: Margarita's, La casa Vieja, Ita, Ruffo's, Nardos

And in town: Tamales Any, also the bar on the corner that has a stop sign and it says Cold Friggin beer

Down on the waterfront near the foot bridge we drank at a variety of the feet in the sand tables while watching the fishermen and water taxis right in the bay...

well you get the point ......we were all over the place and no one in our group of 4 got sick the entire 7 days. We ate and drank and enjoyed.

we bought the large bottles of water at the tienda and kept reilling them when ever we were out and about. We refilled from the 5 gallon jugs at the Hotel Irma.

I would also highly discourage you from eating the ice chunks that come w the buckets of beer...wipe the tops of your beer bottles w a napkin before drinking.

Also we had a tub of '"we ones " with us and were constantly wiping our hands especially before eating...use them always.

go...see...enjoy...have a super trip.

United States
Level Contributor
738 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about drinking

My post timed out when I was editing

meant to say...WET ONES wipes. Ihighly recommend using them alot.

also I suggested that you head down to the Basketball courts on Sunday nights for a fun evening (yes safe) lots going on w/ the locals and their families etc...

also the v/m is a sister property of the Hotel Irma and if occupancy is low you are allowed to go hang out at the pool etc...of course the cost of food and drinks are extra

have fun....seek the advice of the seasoned travelers here on t/a and never mind the naysayers who really are not in the know on Zihau....cheerssss

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about drinking

Thaanks for all the tips. Any restaurant recommendations if we didn't care for Lety's?

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about drinking

Marina Cafe, Chendo's (same menu as Lety but lower prices here at Lety's sister restaurant), Papa Loca is a great real Mexican place with dirt cheap pricing & agree with Linda. Manglar's 27 spice Tuna is the best dish in Zihua if not in all of Mexico.

henderson
Level Contributor
778 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about drinking

all the ones Marie mentioned are great suggestions

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about drinking

Other restaurants to try: Daniels (I love the fish cooked in parchment), Los Braceros (fish tacos) and Nardo's on Calle Adelita.

PS We've never had any stomach problems. I've only felt bad when dehydrated at the beach and drinking a large bottle of water immediately worked just fine!

Edited: 9:19 am, November 05, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo