We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP with Destination Wedding!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
California
8 posts
Save Topic
HELP with Destination Wedding!

Desperately need help with destination wedding (intimate, 5 people) in Mexico! We want a tropical luxury resort we wouldn’t have to leave.

So, one with the works – great service, food, drinks, spa and of course offers a great location for a wedding & all around incredible experience.

Trying to make a decision between Los Cabos and Zihuatanejo. It’s probably more about the resort than area. These are the resorts we are considering – HELP!

Zihuatanejo: Villa Del Sol or Le Casa Que Canta?

Los Cabos: One & Only Pamilla or Esperanza?

These hotels all look gorgeous on-line so hoping opinions from you that have been will help us make a decision. THANK YOU!

Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP with Destination Wedding!

I'd have to recommend the Villa del Sol over the Casa Que Canta simply because it is RIGHT on the beach. I live here in Zihuatanejo 24/7/365 and I am familiar with both places and their services, and I can guarantee that you will be pampered as much as you want to be at either place without having them intrude on your privacy.

If worse comes to worse just flip a coin. I do not believe you would be disappointed with either. ;~)

California
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP with Destination Wedding!

ZihuaRob: Thank you for your reply - Villa Del Sol does look incredible. So, you think they are both equal other than the bonus of Villa Del Sol being right on the beach?

Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP with Destination Wedding!

I wouldn't exactly call them equal, more like two different jewels. But there's nothing like having the beach at your doorstep as opposed to huffing it up a hill to reach your hotel room.

You can take your breakfast on the beach at VDS, but do remember to put on repellent since there are no-see-ums early in the mornings and late in the afternoons. They are worse some places than others, but they really aren't as bad on La Ropa as they are at other beaches, yet they always seem to find me nonetheless. You can buy AUTAN insect repellent at almost any local store. That is the stuff that works best for me, anyway.

VDS also offers dining on the beach as well as a couple of nice beach bars, and being near the center of La Ropa it makes it easy to wander in either direction to visit other beachfront restaurants such as Rossy's, La Gaviota, El Manglar, Elvira's, Paty's, or La Perla.

CQC offers a view of the bay from all its rooms, being that it is on the hillside. They also have probably the best spa in the region for extreme pampering.

It's a tough choice, but you can't go wrong either way. ;~)

California
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP with Destination Wedding!

Rob - Thanks again. You have a point - nothing better than beach at your doorstep. I am already leaning toward VDS and your info is helping convince me it may be the better choice for us. Also, love being within walking distance to other restaurants.

By the way - appreciate the heads up on the no-see-ums!

Lastly, you probably would have mentioned but do you know anything about One & Only Pamilla or Esperanza in Los Cabos? It's coming down to a resort in Zihua or one in Los Cabos. I am thinking you may favor Zihua ; )

seattle
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP with Destination Wedding!

I just have to jump in, as a bride planning a zihua wedding myself - i have stayed at both VDS and La Casa Que Canta, and in my opinion, there is no doubt that i would go with La Casa. it is much smaller, more sophisticated, intimate, sexy and romantic. VDS is a big resort - lots of families and kids. if you have kids, then go there. if you want a sophisticated grownup event, go with La Casa. the pools there are SPECTACULAR and the beach, although a walk down the stairs, is very accessible. i do think the service is friendlier at VDS. but the size and family orientation turned me off for an adults only getaway.

California
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP with Destination Wedding!

Lexi - congrats on your upcoming wedding! Thanks for the post - we do not have kids and definetly prefer an adult, intimate & romantic resort...so this is something to consider. Are you staying at a Zihua resort for your wedding/honeymoon?

Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP with Destination Wedding!

I'm surprised at the report by someone claiming there are lots of kids at VDS. I have hardly ever seen children there in the 17+ years that I've lived here. I believe they actually discourage children except during the summer season. Perhaps the children were from the condos behind the VDS, but even then, they are usually very strict with the condo owners making sure that they do not allow their children to run loose through the hotel. When I stayed there on my honeymoon, albeit 16 years ago, there certainly wasn't a child on the property. It is certainly not the norm to see children there even to this day.

I think the abnormal experience cited by the other person does not reflect the hotel accurately and may be an exaggeration. I recommend asking the hotel their policy on children during the time of your stay. On their website it states that they only accept children "on request, in Garden Suite and large Beach Suite only".

source: hotelvilladelsol.net/ratesreservations.html

san diego CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP with Destination Wedding!

I have not yet been to zih but will be staying at VDS in a few weeks from now. I have stayed at the palmilla in los cabos and visited esperanza. As a frequent visitor to Cabo I have stayed in many resorts there. The palmilla is a fabulous resort, Once on the grounds you will never know you weren't on some exotic island. I loved the Palmilla. They have a chapel on the grounds it is small and quite old. The rooms are large and the restaurants and service are wonderful. Esperanza is newer and looks amazing also. Both places would be perfect. We were at the Palmilla last Oct and the place was filled with honeymooners. It is bigger than esperanza, and VDS I believe. Good Luck in choosing your location. One other tip, try to go before June or after Oct. It gets pretty humid, hot, and uncomfortable.

California
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP with Destination Wedding!

Thanks to everyone for the posts - they really are helping.

Akakari: I do think Pamilla looks so gorgeous. In your opinion, do you think one of the resorts - Pamilla or Esperanza would be better for a wedding? We're definetly looking for that plush, tropical, romantic atmosphere. Service is also very important - a one of a kind type of experience.

What we are trying to do is narrow to 1 resort in Zihua and 1 in Cabo and then DECIDE!

Any other opinions or input - please send! Thanks again.

san diego CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP with Destination Wedding!

Yes I think The Palmilla is more what you described "lush and tropical". Esperanza has very little beach and it is less tropical because it is a new resort and the foilage and grounds just aren't mature yet. The Palmilla is very romantic at night, candles lit everywhere, quiet. My other suggestion is a private villa, We stayed in one two years ago in puerto vallarta and it was an incredible vacation, they have many in cabo and it looks like they have quite a few in zihua. We had cook, bartender,housekeepers, it was very special.

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo