We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the bay clean?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
216 posts
209 reviews
Save Topic
Is the bay clean?

I remember last summer there was some concern over a ruptured sewage pipe leaking into the bay. How is that situation now?

We'll be in Zih in two days!!! (Can you tell I'm a little excited?)

1. Re: Is the bay clean?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:01 am, April 27, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
216 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the bay clean?

I can now answer my own question: it's a day by day thing, apparently. Foul one day and relatively clear the next. We decided to simply boat over to Las Gatas and Manzanilla for swimming.

For eating, though, Zihua cannot be beat.

pasadena,cal
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the bay clean?

just returned from zihua on sat and i can tell you i have never been so dissapointed in a vacation ever , have many complaints but to answer your question about the bay ...... diapers floating in the water ,oily film on the water fish bones on the beach ,fishing line with hooks,should i go on ?, and this was in front of villa del sol where i stayed,. have been to just about every location in mexico,good and bad , but i will never go back, the beach is a joke ,i ended up leaving the next morning due to poor service at every level at villa del sol, unbelievable cannot figure out what all the hoopla is about .

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,894 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the bay clean?

Scotty...guess things must have changed since this report that you did back in September of 2004...when you said it is very nice there and should not be missed!

scotty

pasadena,cal (3658)

Posted on: 11:56 pm, Sep 10, 2004

I have been to many places in mexico,from cabo to cancun,and all points in between,and contiue to explore mexico. as long as you use common sense you will be fine. There are more dangerous places in mexico than zihua and i have been in some of these places alone ,any town can be risky at night ,you are at risk if you wear nice clothes a lot of jewelry and act scared ,just blend in ,and try to speak the language as much as possible it is very nice there and should not be missed ..., not a lot to do but nice and relaxing p.s. merida, the capital of the yucatan ,now thats a dangerous place. hope i helped ,scott

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the bay clean?

we also returned from zihua on saturday & i can't imagine where you were, scotty...

because we didn't see ANY of that trash in the water,(we did see sea snakes LOL)

we had a lovely time & found it to be a charming and clean little town!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the bay clean?

Scotty, unfortunately I have to agree with you on this.....we stayed at Villas El Morro and though the staff was very accomodating and the rooms not bad, we felt as though the beaches in and around Zihuatanejo were full of plastic bottles and other trash, especially La Ropa. With the exception of dining at La Cala and talking with a few very nice locals (Lorna at La Casa Cafe) .

The water was very murky and I guess because of the time of year, all the surrounding land was brown and just looked like a bunch of scrub brush.

I realize that one man's garbage is anothers treasure, and I'm not comparing Zihuatanejo to garbage, but I feel as though the beaches there are of poorer quality and dirtier than that of Galveston Texas , Gulfport Mississippi, or Mobile Alabama , and to have traveled that distance and had this experience, I was very disappointed to say the least.

One other thing I will mention, and that is that for the most part Zihuatanejo is a very poor town and it seemed to both my wife and I that the majority of people were just getting by on a shoestring. There was very little begging by people there, but we were accosted regularly while dining by people trying to sell trinkets and what not.

Again my intention is not to upset any local residents, but if you are going for beautiful beaches and crystal clear water, you will be disappointed as well.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the bay clean?

Semana Santa - Easter - is about the busiest time of the year for tourism in Zihua, and visitors by the busload arrive to spend the week, or two weeks. During that period there's typically lots of trash on the beach, plastic, etc. My guess is that what you saw was the aftermath of Semana Santa, prior to the municipal clean-up.

Also present during the past month has been a "red tide"-like condition that can make the water look very dirty - almost brown/frothy. Such conditions occur a couple or several times yearly, typically when the water temperature changes. This problem was noted up and down the Pacific Coast, particularly in Guerrero and Michoacan during the past several weeks.

The playa principal is a place to generally avoid, because of frequently high levels of bacteria in the water. However, there are other area beaches that are suitable for swimming.

Folks who live in Zihua and visitors for many years are lamenting the fact that there's lots of development underway and it seems that there's not a good plan for connecting everyone to the sanitary waste system. Some existing homes/developments may not be fully connected - and, at times, raw sewage makes its way into the bay. This is a problem up and down the Pacific Coast: Vallarta, Acapulco, Puerto Escondido, sometimes even in Huatulco. Oh, the problem is horrible in Veracruz - essentially a toilet bowl (at the port city beaches). Add to the development in Zihua the increasing number of tourists, and you have a recipe for a sometimes dirty situation.

Most trip reports I read for Zihua, though - including beach reports - are glowing. I rarely hear someone say they've not enjoyed their stay. Of course, there are "hard core" aficionados of many Mexico destinations - people who tend to overlook obvious problems.

I don’t think it’s time to rule Zihua “down for the count.”

pasadena,cal
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the bay clean?

hey travel judy , my previous response to tripadvisor member was to make them feel at ease about travel to mexico, and the last visit i had to zihua was o k ,but i am not going to fluff it up like some of the members who have businesses down there, new travelers should be able to come to tripadvisor to seek the opinions of others ,good or bad, thats what tripadvisor is all about , who knows, my next post may be a positive one ,after all i do love mexico and its people. p.s. please try to stay out of the sun .

9. Re: Is the bay clean?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:46 pm, May 09, 2006
10. Re: Is the bay clean?

Removed on: 12:43 pm, May 09, 2006