We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to The Irma Hotel

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Airdrie, Canada
Level Contributor
906 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation to The Irma Hotel

Does anyone know if there is a shuttle from the airport, or if you have to pre-book a taxi? Also, any idea of the cost. Thank you.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation to The Irma Hotel

Shuttle 100 pesos or so.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,947 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation to The Irma Hotel

No pre-booking of taxi necessary.

Look right as you exit customs.

You buy your taxi ticket there at the booth.

Keith

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation to The Irma Hotel

Purses , in case you didn't know , ground transport from the federal airport is regulated by federal statutes and long story short the ride from the airport will be more than twice as much as the ride back with a normal city taxi . The shuttle referred to is a small public transport van and not a shuttle service as you may think of one at an airport at home . At some other airports there are tactics that travellers can employ to minimize exposure to these higher fares but Zihua's airport is quite remote and doesn't lend itself to easily avoiding the high fare . There are some time consuming ways or you can just ride the shuttle holding your luggage but I think a lot of people would think it best to just suck it up and pay in this one case to get to the beach . Here's an airport taxi fare chart . Near the top you can select the Taxis , buses and rental car tab and you will see that the return of a blended fare of 120 +20 =140 pesos from Madera beats the 380 pesos for the reverse trip . If you don't have too much luggage you might share a cab with flightmates . I think of these as Labrats charts . http://www.zihuatanejo.net/airporttaxi.html

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation to The Irma Hotel

Actually red the "Shuttle" is normally a SUV , a van or even a regular taxi. You must be thinking of the bus. No holding luggage on your lap.

The Collectvio/shuttle takes you to your destination. The difference from a regular taxi is cost plus you normally share with 2 or 3 others so you may have to wait a few minuets to get other riders. I have never had it take over a extra 15 minutes or so.

BC
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation to The Irma Hotel

We visited Zihua for the first time last January, and opted to take the collectivo taxi, rather than a private taxi. For two people it saves you a bit, not a huge amount of difference, really.

We were lucky in being one of the first to get our bags and through customs. But, because we wanted the collectivo taxi, we had to wait for others who also wanted it. We watched as all the travellers from a couple of different flights arrived and departed on their package bus transport and into waiting taxis.

We didn't mind waiting, it was interesting to watch all the goings on, and of course we were in the beautiful weather! Eventually everyone had cleared out and as no one else wanted a collectivo we were put into a taxi, a nice new and air conditioned one. We stayed close to the Irma, at the Brisas del Mar. I gave the driver a tip upon arrival and he looked a bit confused about that.

The transportation desk (where you pay for your taxi chitty in advance) accepts Canadian dollars or Mexican pesos. I had pesos with me, but the rate they offered for the Canadian currency was a very good rate, similar to what you got at the bank, so I was quite impressed with that. They were also very friendly and helpful.

You will love Zihua! I am missing it.....but will be going to another part of Mexico this winter. But I will be back to Zihua sometime.

henderson
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation to The Irma Hotel

Hi Purses...you will love the Irma. We were there this past spring.

Like they mentioned..the taxi's at the airport are regulated...go to the taxi stand tell them Hotel Irma...I believe we paid $28.00.

Then when you get ready to go back to the airport at that end of your stay..the taxi's are right by the fountain at the Irma...It was $17.00 for no A/C and $22.00 with A/C.

Have a great time!

PS..if you have never been to this airport...like all Mexican airports...keep walking thru the "shark tank" (time share solictiations) STRAIGHT to the taxi desk...polite "no thank you's ' and keeeeeeeppp moving.....

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,947 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation to The Irma Hotel

And pay for the Taxi in Pesos.

Keith

(there is an ATM just to your left as you exit customs)

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation to The Irma Hotel

Thanks Peddlar I think it was a regular bus that we took a shorter distance one year and then cabbed the rest of the way . Foggy old memories on my part .

BC
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation to The Irma Hotel

Labrat, the price was the same whether you paid in Canadian dollars or in pesos. I don't think they were offering a US dollars price, but maybe....but there are many Canadians flying in, and they offered me the price in Canadian right away. It was not like in some places where they only offer an exchange rate much below the official rate.

About the extra price for A/C in a taxi....I said I didn't want A/C and I meant it, so settled for the lower price on return to the airport. The driver lasted about one minute without it, and then turned it on. I really did not want it....but figured it was his cab and he had to be in it all day, so accepted it. I'm not an air conditioning fan, we don't have it in our home.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation to The Irma Hotel

Pumpermum The Ticket desk will only allow you 10 pesos to a dollar exchange, About 30 % higher than using pesos. It's not the same price!

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo