We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pool chair savers...your time is up!!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Pool chair savers...your time is up!!

This just might be the start of something good!!! Cruise ships start it...it might finally get to Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo!! Thank you Carnival for doing this!

…usatoday.com/cruises/…1

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pool chair savers...your time is up!!

Great Idea.

But in Ixtapa?

That ain't happening.

JMO

Keith

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pool chair savers...your time is up!!

What does the job pay and do I have to furnish my own weapon?

MN
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pool chair savers...your time is up!!

My husband and I quit staying in Ixtapa partially because of this problem. What we did the last time were stayed at the Dorado is when we got down to the pool, we just picked any chairs we wanted, 'saved' or not. We put the 'saved' items under the chair and sat there as long as we wanted. The 'owners' of the chairs never did show up and if they had, we would have moved to another chair. Maybe. It just irritated us enough that we gave up and decided to stay in Zih from that point on and will never go back to Ixtapa to stay.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,536 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pool chair savers...your time is up!!

I have to say that was the case for us as well the one week we spent at the Dorado, years ago.

It was pretty pathetic to come down to the pool every morning for breakfast, just before 8 AM, and find every lounger saved but unoccupied.

We were forced to play the game and send down the early risers to save chairs too....but that shouldn't be necessary.

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pool chair savers...your time is up!!

ted you crack me up!

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pool chair savers...your time is up!!

Why would anyone spend money at any hotel/resort that does not have enough equipment of all types including beach/pool chairs is beyond me.

Much of the blame IMO can be put on Travel agents that continue to book/send there "customers" to such places. SHAME!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
46 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pool chair savers...your time is up!!

Couldn't agree more. If I am a paying costumer at a hotel and saw lounge chairs reserved at 8 a.m. I would throw a fit. Stay in Zihuatanejo on La Ropa instead. I recently was in Palm Springs and they charged a resort fee of 25 dollars a day and didn't have enough lounge chairs available for my wife and I. I was very displeased.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pool chair savers...your time is up!!

TJ,

I hope you asked for your 25 clams back!

In Ixtapa it is not that they don't have a sufficient number of loungers, it is that they have an over abundance of rude people that "reserve" what they don't use, because "maybe" they might want to.

It's one of the things that I like about going back to the Las Brisas. They would be hard pressed to fill up all of the Palapas that they have down on the beach!

Keith

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pool chair savers...your time is up!!

I exclusively read TA when researching beach resort locations with this issue almost at the top of my list. I will not consciously go to a resort that 'most likely' won't have proper seating on the beach AND at the pool. I rule out fantastic sounding resorts due to this fact and don't look back.

In Los Cabos one time we saw one lady (at least she stayed on the beach 90% of the time with the 'saved' spots) reserve 3 separate palapas for her friends from 9am - 12:30pm when they finally arrived. We noticed as we were at the palapa right next to one of them. She even tried to be sneaky and moved stuff back and forth from one to the other so they didn't look exactly the same as people walked back and forth looking for spots to sit. It was a July and crushingly hot there and all people wanted was shade, but alas....

I also agree with Keith - Las Brisas has been our December booking the last couple of years as this is NEVER a problem there at either the beach or pool. The busiest I have seen the beach at Las Brisas in mid December still had around 20 palapas and seating for 150+ wide open. It is honestly more of a decision which empty seat you are selecting than where to find an empty seat! It might not be everyone's cup of tea at Las Brisas, but this fact and the weather in IXT/ZIH just allow for no worries when looking forward to my December vacation - and that is priceless to me.

$0.02

10. Re: Pool chair savers...your time is up!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, August 22, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo