We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

two questions...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
two questions...

first, tipping.

all our previous trips to mexico have been as "hosts" to hundreds. tips to housekeeping have been pre-paid, but, we've always left a generous extra tip at the end of our stay. i get the impression that, as first time "solo" travelers, the way to go is a tip each day left on the bed.

given the exchange rate...would dollars or pesos be more appreciated?

2nd...

any suggestions where to have our taxi stop & wait between the airport & el ropa, so we can run in & buy some wine & snacks?

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,699 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: two questions...

Tip each day so that the maid who cleans is the one who gets the tip. Maids do get days off...and it would be sad if you paid at the end of your stay...and that was ALSO her day off! Same as you tip in the states...daily...and for each service. Tip in dollars or pesos...they don't care...they DO CARE THAT YOU TIP. The airport taxi will NOT stop for you...they are union guys and do not care about anything except their fares...go to your property...settle in...then take a taxi to the Commercial Mexicanna and grab the wine and snacks. I don't know where you are staying...so can't offer up a price...but you say LaRopa...so about $4 each way...would be a fair guesstimate. Figure out how much you want to buy...to determine if you can save $8...

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: two questions...

thanks, judy, that's very helpful!

as for the maids' tips on the big company trips, as i said, a regular tip is covered by the company - the extra tip for our "main" maid, my husband gives to the hotel sales manager he's been working with & she sees that the correct person gets it. (unless we see her ourselves on the day we leave). we're always very careful to show our appreciation. :-)