We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging US Dollars

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
69 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Exchanging US Dollars

Does the Santander Bank in PV accept us Dollars? for exchange.

I know in Acapulco they do not change anymore.

Thanks for your help..

New Cumberland
Level Contributor
824 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchanging US Dollars

Not sure, and even if they did accept dollars today there is no guarantee they would tomorrow. At the least you would need your Passport and would be restricted to the maximum monthly amount (I think its $1500). The easy solution is to simply

New Cumberland
Level Contributor
824 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchanging US Dollars

Not sure, and even if they did accept dollars today there is no guarantee they would tomorrow. At the least you would need your Passport and would be restricted to the maximum monthly amount (I think its $1500). The easy solution is to simply use your ATM card (Santander and other banks in PV have ATMs) where there are no monthly limits. There will be a daily limit based on your own bank and the local bank....which is generally $500 (US) per day..

More and more Mexican banks are opting out of exchanging dollars because of Mexican government regulations. ATMs are not subject to those regulations which is why its a great option (and convenient). Otherwise, there are local Cambios that will exchange your dollars...although the fees and rate might not be the best.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchanging US Dollars

This topic is coming up more often. I wish I could find the article that I read recently that explained that the Mexican government is now insisting the all US dollar exchanges for any amount have to be reported; while the rule did exist before, it was not being enforced. It seems to coincide with the timing of forum posts about banks refusing to exchange US dollars.

https:/…78730256

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150793…

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150793…

Edited: 10:11 pm, November 12, 2016
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
749 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchanging US Dollars

I believe that if you want to exchange usd at banks you must also bring a color copy of your passport photo page that the bank keeps. Bring a few copies if you plan to exchange usd at banks. At least this is the way it was a few years ago. Easier to get/make copies at home than when you are in PV.

Might not be a bad idea for Canadians to bring color copies as well. Not sure it's required for them but it seems some banks are applying the same rules to cad as usd.

We find using ATMs much easier now. That works for us but might not for others. We quit exchanging usd quite a few years ago when a bank didn't have their exchange rate posted and gave us a really crappy exchange rate - less than the hotel's already crappy exchange rate. It all depends on what you are comfortable with doing.

Cheers

Deanna

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
69 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchanging US Dollars

Thanks for all the help.

Will try to change cash. if not have to use the ATM card. The bank charges at home a huge rate to get your own money from your account.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,747 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchanging US Dollars

Get a PayPal debit card, they charge $1.00 per withdrawal.

chicago
Level Contributor
262 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchanging US Dollars

If you have an account at Chase Bank (and possibly Bank of America), they will change dollars into pesos at a rate that is almost comparable to what you would get in Mexico. I changed money there on Thursday when the exchange rate online was fluctuating around 20.50 and got 19.16 pesos per dollar.

San Antonio...
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
14,079 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchanging US Dollars

Color copy of passport?? Unusual as usually colored copies of official documents are not acceptable but maybe for bank..I am on file at banks I use ..interesting..

Maybe carry colored copy and black and white..

Hillsborough, North...
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exchanging US Dollars

Hey Teduardo...I thought that Paypal charged 1%.At least that is how I interpreted it when I read the small print!

Hillsborough, North...
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exchanging US Dollars

I just checked BofA 18.08:1 Not so good.Western Union 19.64:1