We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fred's construction update

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,340 posts
169 reviews
141 helpful votes
Fred's construction update

Walked the Southside pretty thoroughly this AM. Boy it's hard to find a block where there isn't construction. There's the new building next door to Torre Malibu on Amapas that's in initial construction (no name posted yet). It is creating a lot of noise and I'm guessing D'Terrace is going to be another six months of construction across from the Tropicana. Walked up the stairs to the Pinnacle properties - Signature is finished of course and Residences appears to be. There's a new little mid-rise between them. Elle Salon appears to be the only tenant so far.

Walked along the highway and got a good view of what so far is mostly fences and destruction by Loma del Mar - looks like a bomb went off on that hillside. I'm afraid the neighboring buildings are going to have a very long couple of years of construction noise. No visible activity at Bonita Hill.

Pacifica (above Fajita Republic) is getting there but I'm guessing it'll be another six months to completion. The new really big one where Mañana was is getting going - never remember the name but it's probably a couple of years out. Major street work on Madero have to wal over planks to get into a lot of the businesses. Speaking of noise, there's a new club middle of the 200 block on Carranza. It was still blaring club music at 7:30 AM. Got think there are a lot of unhappy neighbors.

Walked on down to the Malecon to the Rosita and then hoofed it back home - heat and humidity back for the weekend. The Museo Naval is getting a major renovation - so it's closed at the moment if it's on your to do list.

That's it for now.

Twin Bridges...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
6 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Fred's construction update

Zenith is the one going up in the old Manana spot.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
218 reviews
157 helpful votes
2. Re: Fred's construction update

Fred, just talked with a Realtor friend of mine, and he said it's now final. There is a new condo building going up in the old Community Center property. Work to start early next summer. Just another reason for us to start looking elsewhere. Getting to be like Miami Beach!

Seattle
Level Contributor
55,545 posts
22 reviews
64 helpful votes
3. Re: Fred's construction update

Besides the hillside project at the top of F. Rodriquez there is buzz about something happening lower on that street involving the old Casa Andrea property.

That one going up (I'm thinking must be where people are referring to the old Manana?) is HUGE and just a couple big blocks of cement at the moment (looking at from the pool at Selva). It's strange because it doesn't seem to have much in the way of windows on the ocean facing side? It is currently way uglier than the Pacifica complex, which while not popular for many reasons, is honestly pretty attractive looking, along the lines of the V style buildings.

Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
40 reviews
13 helpful votes
4. Re: Fred's construction update

It's already like Miami beach, we have live reports coming in from our man on the street reporter, Fred.

Next week we get him a camera crew he can do man on the street interviews.

I think they must be paying you too much Fred but keep up the good work.

Should have walked on past the Rosita the Craft Beer shows on in the "New" Pareto Park out at the Hotel Puerto Del Luna. Lots of tents set up but not too many visitors last night when we went by 9:45.

chicago
Level Contributor
368 posts
5. Re: Fred's construction update

Thanks so much for the construction/noise info! Do you know if the construction behind Loma del Mar is currently going on? I heard there was an injunction against the developer.

Also, do you think the construction noise level would be a problem if staying at the Tropicana? I'm currently looking for a place to stay in January (normally stay on Amapas but concerned about construction noise level this year).

Seattle
Level Contributor
55,545 posts
22 reviews
64 helpful votes
6. Re: Fred's construction update

<Do you know if the construction behind Loma del Mar is currently going on?>

It is not. I heard the same thing about the developer.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,340 posts
169 reviews
141 helpful votes
7. Re: Fred's construction update

The injunction was lifted and there was work going on when I walked by yesterday. I think noise won't be much of a problem unless you get stuck in one of their rooms facing Amapas - just say no. You really want to be on the ocean side.

North Providence...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
46 reviews
18 helpful votes
8. Re: Fred's construction update

Thanks for being our sidewalk superintendent Fred.

Keep us posted.

Michael

Pacific Latitiude...
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
111 reviews
83 helpful votes
9. Re: Fred's construction update

The construction of improved sidewalks has the whole south-side torn up. Little parking. The River Cafe lot charges 20 p/hr. Probably complete well before Christmas.

The construction beside Vallarta Shores has stepped up as they make room for a rooftop pool. Vallarta Shores is making their new top floors more consistent with the old Mexican style.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,747 posts
9 reviews
6 helpful votes
10. Re: Fred's construction update

Yes, thanks very much for the thread, Fred!

drtricia, like fred said, if you have an ocean facing room at the Trop, you should be fine. It's amazing how much noise the solid concrete construction of those semi-enclosed beachfront properties block. Couple that with the wonderful sound of the surf and you're all set. :)