We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Vallarta vs. Cancun

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New York
2 posts
Save Topic
Puerto Vallarta vs. Cancun

Has anyone out there been to both PV and Cancun, and would be interested in telling me which one you think is more fun? My husband and I are going to one or the other in Jan, and can't decide which to go to. Thinking of going to "Getaway Club" in PV--any opinions?

We are fun loving, party people; know Cancun is KNOWN for that, so how does PV compare? Is there Carlos n Charlies, Bongos,

Froggies etc etc???

Salt Lake City Utah
Level Contributor
227 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Vallarta vs. Cancun

PV is not much like Cancun. We went to Cancun a couple of times before we went to PV, and have not been back to Cancun since. Cancun is probably a better "party" town if that is what you are mainly going for, although PV has a decent night life. The beaches are better at Cancun since it is in the Caribbean vs. the Pacific Ocean. PV still has the charm of Old Mexico. For me, going to Cancun is like going to Florida or some other US party town. So really, if you sort of want to get the feel of Mexico, go to PV, If you want to party the whole time, go to Cancun

chicago
Level Contributor
224 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Vallarta vs. Cancun

cancun gets my vote with more to do, more restaurants to choose from, better bus system, and a whole lot cheaper. many restaurants accept 241 coupons (google for info to purchase card). went to letos (sp) and had all the lobster, crabs, shrimp, steaks etc we could eat. with a 241 cost was $15 usd p/p plus drinks and tips. jimmy buffets margarita ville is a great party place among many others.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Vallarta vs. Cancun

Vallarta has about 50 times more restaurants than Cancun.

Vallarta also has charm, a history and some culture.

Cancun has prettier water, a spring break atmosphere and zero culture until you get outside of Cancun.

If you just want to party, hit the beach and have a "wild time" for sure go to Cancun. It was created by the Mexican Government just for that.

Vallarta is less expensive than Cancun. I compare prices there often and it is much more expensive over-all unless you go A/I and then never leave the hotel to eat or go out.

BUT, Cancun is not back to normal yet and they are offering lots of deals for hotels and air travel so when it comes tp that, Cancun may cost less getting there as well.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Vallarta vs. Cancun

We love Mexico and have been to the resort towns of Cancun, Cabo San Lucas, and Puerto Vallarta. Cancun is definitely party. Cabo San Lucas definitely has nightlife downtown, Cabo Wabo(home of Sammy Haggar), Giggling Marlin, and places like the Mango Deck. Puerto Vallarta has a real Mexican feel and probably also has its share of night life. It also has the best restaurants by far of all the three. We are now an "older" couple and go to Mexico to relax so Cancun is no longer on our list. I would suggest you give Cabo San Lucas a try since you have already been to Cancun.

reikilady

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,297 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Vallarta vs. Cancun

If you just want to party you should go to Cancun. Especially since you mention Getaway Club. As bzy1 says, Cancun was specifically built by the Mexican government as a tourist destination. That's what it's all about.

Quite honestly I have never been to Cancun myself so will simply say, Puerto Vallarta wins hands-down for me for a long long LONG list of reasons, but Senor Frogs ain't one of them.

kindly, Suze

New York
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Vallarta vs. Cancun

Appreciate the comments on PV versus Cancun...

PV seems to be cheaper overall. Several comments on

"good restaurants" in PV---can you give me a couple in particular

you would recommend?

Wondering if anyone has any specific info on resort called

"Getaway Club" (an adults only resort) in PV??

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,297 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Vallarta vs. Cancun

debsue- put the word "Getaway" in the search box up top. there's lots of threads about that hotel.

kansas
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Vallarta vs. Cancun

Cancun hands down for us!! Have been to both Puerto Vallarta to me is cold cold cold pacific water, hot sand and the vendors won't leave you alone on the beach. Cancun is beautiful warm water, not too many vendors bugging you and just plain fun!!

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Vallarta vs. Cancun

depends, of course, on how one defines "fun".

i've had fun in both places. but in cancun, the fun involved snorkeling most of the day, taking a side trip to isla mujeres, and getting to bed early so i could enjoy the next day snorkeling. some nights going into the city to eat at las habichuelas or rosa mexicano.

in puerta vallarta, it involved walking the beautiful town, taking a boat trip to the marietas & seeing whales & dolphins & sea turtles, doing los veranos canopy tour, then spending a day on the beach just reading & relaxing, and going to bed early LOL

if your idea of fun is just visiting chain bars that could be anywhere & partying all night, cancun is probably better for you. if you're at all interested in actually visiting mexico, PV hands-down.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Vallarta vs. Cancun

oh, and....

i also didn't quite "get" patsy's remark about "more restaurants to choose from"..

PV has a multitude of FABULOUS restaurants!