We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in January

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Weather in January

We will be arriving in PV on 3rd of January and would appreciate it if someone could let us know what the weather will be like during the day and if we will require jackets for the night time.

United States
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in January

January weather is beautiful - warm sunny days and pleasant evenings. Jacket might be a bit much for the evening but occasionally you may want a sweater.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,289 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in January

I love the weather in January. December and January are my 2 favorite months. Last December and January the daytime hours were sunny and warm with temps in the low 80's. The evenings to cool down but the only time I needed a sweater was in the evening when we were up in the mountains eating at Las Carmelitas.

Enjoy your trip!

Seattle
Level Contributor
50,125 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in January

January weather will most likely be perfect. Doubtful you will need a jacket. I usually have one something (light sweater or jacket) that I wear on the plane ride down. Have never needed more than that, and some trips never even wore it until the plane ride back home.

Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in January

Thanks everyone, we are getting really excited about our trip now and as we are coming from Australia and also doing a White Xmas in Whistler the packing is an issue with extreme temperatures.

Seattle
Level Contributor
50,125 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in January

Puerto Vallarta is very casual. All you need is some sandals, shorts, t-shirts, bathing suits, etc. You can buy a straw hat, beach towel, etc. after you arrive.

Silverthorne...
Level Contributor
668 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in January

I am sure the average in January is nice, but when I was there one year it was cold and rainy the whole time. I've been several times to PV, mostly in April and once in October. My January trip was pleasurable, but cold. My friends went 2 weeks after me, however and the weather was perfect once again. I think it was unusual when I was there. Good luck!

United States
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in January

patti - that was January 2005 when there was one week of rainy cool weather. That was an aberration - we spend the entire winter PV and for the rest of 2005 and the winter of 2006 I can't recall having as much as a raindrop.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in January

I was there the middle of Jan. 2006, the weather could not have been better !

I will be there the same time this coming Jan. and I hope the same to be true.

Silverthorne...
Level Contributor
668 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in January

luvthebeach - no it wasn't January 2005. It was 2003.

Ann Arbor, MI
Level Contributor
29 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in January

What about the ocean temperature? I know it cools down a bit, but is the water comfortable enough to swim??