We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mini Trip Report-Golden Crown, Cheeky Monkey, Yummy Agua

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
142 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Mini Trip Report-Golden Crown, Cheeky Monkey, Yummy Agua

We took a quick weekend trip that consisted of many firsts! At the airport we crossed the pedestrian bridge and were quoted $100 pesos to the Golden Crown. This seemed like a great price but upon arrival we paid the cab driver with a $200 peso note and while the bell boy at the hotel was greeting us our cab driver sped away without giving us change… it seemed to be on purpose-as opposed to an honest mistake. We are generous tippers but would NOT have tipped 100%. What are you gonna do?

We spent very little time at the hotel. Check in was busy, with a tour group arriving right before us. Food was decent, drinks and views were lovely, we liked our room, and best of all we met some awesome friends. At check-out they tried to charge us $40/US for towel cards that we never received. We never went to the pool or the beach which was strange even for us, but we truly never got towel cards and were able to work it out but the staff member acted as if we were trying to steal from him.

In town we ate at a restaurant called Huarache’s and had really tasty shrimp cocktail for $120 pesos and Huaraches for $60 I think-for the veg version with cactus and mushroom. We couldn’t eat the Huarache because the cocktail portion was big and we were too full. Our next stop was Cheeky Monkey and now that it is low season they are not serving food so we shared our to go snack with the staff. This paid off big time because later they had a family meal of fish ceviche that they made themselves that they shared with us.  SUPER nice staff there, it was a lovely afternoon. I think they also said they will be closed on Sundays during the summer.

On the malecon we tried a drink that was agua de coco, or agua de palma – something like that. It was served with apples and walnuts floating in the drink and it was SO GOOD!!! The weather was awesome, it was actually a bit on the cool side, lots of rain mornings and nights. We could tell it was going to be hot yesterday as we were leaving but we escaped any severe heat days. We ate at Tacon de Marlin by the airport twice. We love the food and staff is pretty nice. Good world cup watching as well.

I also got a bunch of bug bites, somehow I didn’t really notice them until got back to the dry Denver air. Mostly on my ankles but some on my arms, elbows, even one on the palm of my hand. I don’t think they are mosquito, probably no see ums, or sand fleas or something. This always happens to me as I am super sweet.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,027 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mini Trip Report-Golden Crown, Cheeky Monkey, Yummy Agua

A weekend only in PV would have killed me LOL, but more power to you! Sounds like it was a very successful weekend (minus the bug bites), and being cooler was a bonus. Thanks for reporting.:-)

Edited: 11:03 am, July 07, 2014
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mini Trip Report-Golden Crown, Cheeky Monkey, Yummy Agua

Your drink is called Tuba and is made from the sap of the coconut palm flower.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
142 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mini Trip Report-Golden Crown, Cheeky Monkey, Yummy Agua

Thank you so much JR! It is something we will have again. It was so refreshing.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mini Trip Report-Golden Crown, Cheeky Monkey, Yummy Agua

Thank you for your mini mi trip report.

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,393 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mini Trip Report-Golden Crown, Cheeky Monkey, Yummy Agua

nice trip report---sorry about the cab tho.

I was there in june--I never got bites before in many trips---this time I did too.

we both are super sweet---lol

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mini Trip Report-Golden Crown, Cheeky Monkey, Yummy Agua

Great report, gets me excited for ours:)

7. Re: Mini Trip Report-Golden Crown, Cheeky Monkey, Yummy Agua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, July 14, 2015