We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attacked and mugged

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
122 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Attacked and mugged

I write this not to scare anyone just to make them aware that on Feb. 14 a popular doctor and community leader from our area was attacked and mugged while walking back to his condo in PV. while on vacation. He suffered severe head injuries after being knocked to the cobblestone street. After emergency surgery in PV he was flown back to hospital here after a few days by Medivac plane. He was taken of life support on Feb. 19. Canadian Consulate and Mexican Authorities are investigating. The suspect got away. He was not walking alone and there is a witness, but as in some of the other postings, how much will be done? I have been to PV and seen police presence on the streets, made me feel safe, but I don't always like to be on the main street. Very tragic situation, which should make us more aware to never let our guard down. This can happen in any city in the world, our hometown even...but were vacationers made aware of this incident?

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attacked and mugged

Lots of investigating going on, but there seems to be some discrepancies on the info. What I have read so far, the couple were walking back to their condo about 11:30 PM near Amapas/Pilitas streets.

The victim was not hit on the head but fell down and hit his head. The suspect got away before the police came. The police brought them back to their condo. It is said the victim entered CMQ hospital about 12 hours later (not sure why not right away or if this is true, records are being checked)

At some point the victim went to San Javier for a medical flight back home.

It has not been said if the suspect is Mexican or other, only that he was shirtless and demanded their wallets. I have not seen any actual responses from the witness (Victims partner)

If there is more info I will post it. I agree it is tragic, but usually the police here do a good job of investigating crimes and complaints but sometimes the language barrier hinders investigation as well as not following their proceedures. (like not filing a police report at the station or having to leave town and not having direct contact with the officers who are working the investigation)

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
122 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attacked and mugged

Thank you bzy 1. I was just going from what our media told us up here. In many cases like you have just stated there may be more to it. I did not know the gentleman personly nor his family. Just confirming to myself and others that this was an isolated tragic incident and that it was not lost in the paper shuffle. Let's end this thread. I will continue to feel safe in PV.

puerto vallarta...
Level Contributor
378 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Attacked and mugged

Just for correction - the patient was not transferred to San Javier Hospital but air ambulanced from CMQ Hospital to his home.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attacked and mugged

Ahh sorry Pam, I had heard from a few people and from his neighbor he was sent back via Global.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Attacked and mugged

Question for bzy1: What part of town did this happen? Is Amapas/Pilitas streets in a remote area? Thanks.

Reno, NV
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attacked and mugged

This is a horrible, horrible crime no matter where it occurs. I live in a fairly safe town, Reno Nevada, where a murder and even an attack is big news here...Something like this happened a few years ago here...It was actually a hate crime against a Muslim doctor...Unfortunately this sort of thing happens no matter where you are at. I guess maybe the main difference is that it might be handled differently depending on where it happens. As for crime, I don't really think PV is any worse than any other mid-size town in the US...most of us probably live somewhere where this sort of thing has happened... As for Canada, I don't know. I do imagine maybe less crime there? I am curious to how they handle this sort of thing down there...Investigative techniques and the like.

I am just so sorry for the victim and family, as I am for any victim of such a violent crime.