We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sept. 15-19, 2014 PV 1st Time Travel

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Catonsville...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Sept. 15-19, 2014 PV 1st Time Travel

Booked my 1st trip to PV Sept 15-19, staying at Hotel Hacienda de Vallarta Centro...

1. Did I pick a good place to stay, meaning located in a central location close to the beach, restaurants, the happenings????

2. Sept rain/storm--Is it like FL--brief downpours that really don't impact your vacation to the point of needing to stay in your room or is it torrential rain, severe storms, etc??? (Not worried about the heat and humidity)

3. Departure flight at 9:30am and was told to be at airport 3 hours early, Gray Line transporation hours are 8am-8pm (through hotels.com) will I be able to get a cab from the hotel to airport at 6am?

4. Will anyone else be there 9/15-9/19? Any local happenings, celebrations, festivals, etc?

THANKS EVERYONE!!!! (I love the Trip Advisor Forum!!!)

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,933 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sept. 15-19, 2014 PV 1st Time Travel

1. I've never stayed there but have always been interested in this hotel, I walk by it all the time when I'm out and about. Yes it's a perfect central location. It's on a pretty busy street, so you might see about rooms in the back or facing the courtyard, rather than the street because of traffic noise.

2. I've also never been down in September myself :) but it would be unusual for it to rain 24/7 for days, unless a specific storm is involved. More likely brief showers or raining at night.

3. Yes you can easily get a taxi at 6am. Definitely no need to use Grayline.

4. Check online close to your dates and pick up the tourist newspaper that has a weekly calendar of events after you arrive.

Catonsville...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sept. 15-19, 2014 PV 1st Time Travel

Thank you, Suze! I think I'll remain excited about this trip!! (I was beginning to worry. lol)

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,933 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sept. 15-19, 2014 PV 1st Time Travel

PrinPalGreen~ I dearly love Puerto Vallarta and go every chance I get - have been vacationing there for years. I'm crazy about the place.

Honestly I probably wouldn't have picked September as a month to visit because of the weather (Aug/Sept are the wettest months), but is what it is, so GO and have fun!

Your hotel is in my favorite part of town, you're close to all the restaurants & shops along B. Badillo, easy to head north across the river into Centro/downtown, not too far from Los Muertos beach, inland far enough you're a bit away from the tourist area. It's all good!! suze

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,858 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sept. 15-19, 2014 PV 1st Time Travel

My thoughts on your taxi to the airport question. They told you to be at the airport at 6:00 am for a 9:30 flight? Three and one-half hours seems pretty far ahead for the PV airport that early in the morning. I would bet at 6:00 am the check-in counters will not even be open yet.

That information sounds like old information from before they got the x-ray machines and they hand searched everyones luggage at check-in.

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sept. 15-19, 2014 PV 1st Time Travel

Kat's right. My last early morning stagger through the airport, there were no ticket agents at 6 am. Leave 6:30 or 7 and that gives you time to get something to eat at the airport.

Gray-line?

Remember, day before departure, go to Yarita's bakery on Basillo Badillo, right across from Posada de Roger and Fredy's Tucan and get some Danish and meat and cheese turnovers, for the flight back. When the plane is full of people thinking about spending $6 on a plastic sandwich, and you unwrap a ham/cheese/onion turnover, and the delightful smell gets out, you gets lots of looks. Eat with the appropriate lip smacking noises and satisfied grunts. Drives people crazy. . .

Edited: 3:24 pm, June 24, 2014
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sept. 15-19, 2014 PV 1st Time Travel

Oh, great tip. I will be staying at PDR for my first sola trip in the fall, so the bakery sounds like a perfect place to buy a sandwich for the road:)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,964 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sept. 15-19, 2014 PV 1st Time Travel

Activities? No need to go looking for a paper, you arrive right on time for Mexican Independence Day. The "grito de dolores" takes place late on the evening of the 15th, and Independence Day is the 16th. HUGE party, don't miss the grito!

It is the one very good reason to go in September!

A bit of background:

…about.com/od/…independence.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grito_de_Dolores

And here is a video of the Grito de Dolores in PV, 2007.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVVDG3FN1OQ

Catonsville...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sept. 15-19, 2014 PV 1st Time Travel

You all are AWESOME!!!! Thanks for the responses!!! I will take heed!

United States
Level Contributor
9,723 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sept. 15-19, 2014 PV 1st Time Travel

Jill & PrinPal

Check out Cafe Vayan on Olas Altas as well. As you come out of Posada de Roger, go to the right. Not far. We get great inexpensive breakfasts there as well as just a toasted bagel and creme cheese to go. Love their hot chocolate. They serve food all day. Cute little place with just a few tables. Best part? They also have computers to use and it sure helps when you want to print out your boarding passes to go home.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sept. 15-19, 2014 PV 1st Time Travel

Great tip Deana. Definitely want to print that out before I get to the airport since I will only have carry on so no reason to wait in line.