We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATMs and Theft in Zona Romantica

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
ATMs and Theft in Zona Romantica

Just returned from P.V.

Checked my bank account attached to my debit card. Withdrawal from HSBC was hacked / scammed and I show a withdrawal from Costa Rica along with the valid withdrawal in P.V.

Do not use HSBC ATMs. I've been trying to contact HSBC all day for assistance and keep getting the run around ("wrong department", "not our specialty in this department", "i'll connect you" ... to a dial tone, as well as giving me a fax number when I asked for a voice number)

I used one other ATM at an OXXO at the intersection of Rodolfo Gomez and Amapas with no issues ... and no ATM fees.

In addition to staying away from HSBC ATMs, beware of pickpockets. This is a first in my 16 trips to P.V.

I was pickpocketed as I walked down Basilio Badillo in the late morning (broad daylight). I had fairly tight jeans on so was surprised that I didn't feel my wallet leave my pocket. I don't have a thick wallet and wasn't carrying anything that stuck out of my pocket ... so this person was good.

All I know is that the wallet was removed from my pocket, the cash was removed, and then the wallet was dropped. I heard the noise behind me, looked around and saw my wallet on the ground, but no one else was around. Smooth operator.

So, beware of ATMs, carry small amounts of cash in your front pocket, and know that Zona Romantica is changing ... not for the better.

Two events in one week is challenging. Especially since I enjoy P.V. so much. Will see if I decide to return.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: ATMs and Theft in Zona Romantica

We returned from Puerto Vallarta exactly a month ago. DH tried to buy gas yesterday morning using his debit card. It was declined. Before he had an opportunity to call about this, the bank called him. Someone in Cabo San Lucas emptied our checking account. Our feeling is that his card was just as likely to have been compromised here in SoCal. New cards should arrive via FedEx today. Money should be returned to our account within 72 hours. That won't keep us from using ATMs, but it's a pain.

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: ATMs and Theft in Zona Romantica

Funman? I think we'll live longer with our attitudes!

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: ATMs and Theft in Zona Romantica

I'm sure you'll enjoy life more, too!

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: ATMs and Theft in Zona Romantica

A hundred years ago (give or take a year or two) I worked with Hughes in field testing their proxy cards. We set up access systems using the "chip technology", and the distance from the card being read was solely dependent upon the card reader being used, and how the reader was adjusted. On some of the rooms, the scientists would often have both hands full, so we adjusted the readers to see the card while it was still in their back pocket (the scientists called them "butt pads"!).....the biggest problem that we ran into was that all too often a door would unlock as they were simply walking by. I'm certain that the technology has progressed, but I am always careful when carrying anything that has a chip in it....I never know when I am going to walk by a butt pad.....

San Francisco...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: ATMs and Theft in Zona Romantica

Beware of the children and their mothers who hang around the ATM security doors at the Banorte ATM's in Zona Romantica. I had my A.T.M. card stolen within a split second. These kids hang around and hold the door open for unsuspecting people and look for people who drop their credit cards and leave the scene. They seem to work in packs and they work very quickly. I called my bank and they'd already tried to make charges in the card within 30 minutes of losing the card.

Edited: 1:39 am, December 28, 2014
San Francisco...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: ATMs and Theft in Zona Romantica

Zona Romantica is definitely going downhill... lots of pick pockets and people working ATM's. I won't be coming back to Puerto Vallarta anytime soon after what happened to me.

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,785 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: ATMs and Theft in Zona Romantica

If you drop your credit card and leave the ATM without realizing it, anyone can pick it up anywhere in the world, not just PV.

Was your pocket picked or did you drop your credit card, you talked about kids stealing your card and pick pockets in Zona Romantica, two different things?

wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: ATMs and Theft in Zona Romantica

Is that like saying when I loose my car keys, I won't ever buy another Chevy because of what happened to me?

69. Re: ATMs and Theft in Zona Romantica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:46 pm, November 16, 2015
70. Re: ATMs and Theft in Zona Romantica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:12 pm, November 17, 2015