We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport Validity for Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) Travel

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
CA
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Passport Validity for Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) Travel

Does anyone know how far out US passport needs to be valid for travel into Mexico?

We have a flight into Puerto Vallarta (from SFO) from June 17-June 24, 2014 for vacation and the 2 US passports are expiring Sep 30, 2014 and other two are expiring Nov 8, 2014.

Anyone had experience with this situation? - Will this be a problem? Or do passports have to be 6+ months valid after I finish travel (which is June 24), which means I would have to get the passports renewed with expedited service (very costly and may still run risk of passports not being delivered before June 17 departure). Thanks!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Passport Validity for Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) Travel

I agree, "I will not patronize an airline that doesn't"..... have a licensed pilot!!!!!! But at least I will have 6 months left on my passport.

Edited: 5:36 pm, June 03, 2014
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,182 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Passport Validity for Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) Travel

I flew on Delta from LAX, returned home on the 24th of May. Nothing was said about my passport, which expires in August. My passport renewal is in the mail, don't want to take that chance twice.

Lafayette, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Passport Validity for Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) Travel

Just flew from SFO to PVR last week. My passport expires in Sept 2014. I had not even thought about having a passport problem since it is still valid until I was reading the travel forum one day before I left for PVR. Had no problems at all. The only comment was from the custom's official when we arrived back in SFO and all he said was "your passport expires in September". I will be renewing this week!

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Passport Validity for Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) Travel

If you look at this link, US Department of State on Mexico:

…state.gov/content/…mexico.html

Read the first few lines. Seems there IS an official six month rules, so what is being debated is really consistency in the enforcement of it, on airlines, on Mexico entry, on US re-entry etc...

Mexico

Official Name: United Mexican States

Last Updated: May 27, 2014

Alerts & Warnings

Quick Facts

PASSPORT VALIDITY:

Six months

BLANK PASSPORT PAGES:

One page required for entry stamp

TOURIST VISA REQUIRED:

Tourist card/entry permit may be obtained at airport upon arrival or at land border crossings

VACCINATIONS:

None

CURRENCY RESTRICTIONS FOR ENTRY:

Max $10,000

CURRENCY RESTRICTIONS FOR EXIT:

Max $10,000

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Passport Validity for Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) Travel

This is a US requirement not a Mexican one. :)

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Passport Validity for Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) Travel

Very true.

But the OP is a US citizen seeking to travel into Mexico and will pass through various agencies and gates and as a practical matter of concern runs a risk of someone - either the US airlines or the US border control on exit side may point to this and create a problem.

I too think more than likely there will be no issue, BUT will I plan a vacation and pay non-refundable airline tickets or hotel packages and risk being denied entry when there is an OFFICIAL policy on this? No.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,986 posts
Save Reply
57. Re: Passport Validity for Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) Travel

Maybe send the OP a private message and find out if there were any issues - they took their trip in June. (-:

Manitoba
Level Contributor
487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
58. Re: Passport Validity for Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) Travel

PVJenny, I am sure glad one of us was paying attention!

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,935 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Passport Validity for Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) Travel

Not sure where Miamicruise was going with this post? He/she is traveling to Playa del Carmen mid-August and asked this question on the "Mexico" forum. Received an answer and then pulled up this post to report the "correct" information to the Puerto Vallarta forum? I'm confused, but ya gotta love the search feature. :)

I knew it was an old post, I recognized the OP's name.

Edited: 2:56 pm, August 02, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Passport Validity for Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) Travel

I worried about this last year and just decided to get my passport redone. I was lucky that I live in Chicago so I just went to the office and had it done that day. I went in at 10A to get all my paperwork checked and then picked my new passport up at 4P. Probably one of the easier thing I've done regarding travel. I paid an extra $50 I think but for how easy it was to do I wasn't upset at all. You don't have to worry about it getting lost in the mail or anything like that. I don't think you'll have a problem at all, Ive known plenty of people who made it there and back with less than 6 months.