We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the weather this week average for May?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Oregon
Level Contributor
3,383 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Is the weather this week average for May?

I am asking, because we are in Vallarta now, and I'm finding it much hotter and more humid than I expected. We were here last year during the same time, and I remember it cooling down nicely at night. We never needed to turn on the A/C last year, but I can't imagine being able to sleep without it this time. I might change my mind about planning any future trips in May if this is typical.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the weather this week average for May?

Nothing is average anymore. I used to bet on the 1st day of rain here, won the 'pool' twice, but I won't anymore, "The times they are a'changing"

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,939 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the weather this week average for May?

We've been down 3 times in May in recent years (not 2013) and it was always mild and close to what we'd call "perfect." Even the first half of June in 2012 was unbelievably mild. Much more so than some of the Octobers we've been down in the past few years. In May/June 2012, we just used fans at Villa del Palmar -- no A/C. Really surprised.

Who's to tell these days? It now rains (sometimes in December) which it never did before. When we were down in PV the end of October 2013, we met some owners at the Krystal who come every year during the exact same week and said, "it never rains at this time of year --- never has." It rained for a day and a half, off-and-on. They were depressed.

Appears "The Weather Man" has not caught up with this new "lack of a pattern" in many places.

Nice homage to Bob Dylan, JR (his birthday is on May 24th) ---- times and weather patterns are definitely not like they used to be. The people who seem to notice it the most (of the folks we talk to down in PV) are the ones who come for a specified time at the same time each year and can say exactly what was going on during a certain week or two, the previous year(s), like the owners we met at the Krystal.

It's hard to predict "average" or even "normal" or "typical" these days. Crazy weather world.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
495 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the weather this week average for May?

April felt pretty hot and humid too. Even more so than previous trips I'd taken in May. My friends that live down there agree and one of them figures the rainy season will come early this year.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,177 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the weather this week average for May?

Might want to watch this disturbance...it has been raining and thunder and lightening in Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo...and it appears that it could be moving up the coast line.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Danvers...
Level Contributor
901 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the weather this week average for May?

We come for the month of March and this year it got much hotter towards the end of the month. As much as I want to love the heat it can get tough.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the weather this week average for May?

It's been very common for many years, 36 to my knowledge, for there to be a sprinkle of rain at Christmas, not unusual at all.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,939 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the weather this week average for May?

JR --- how about the storm (not sprinkle) that started late on December 20 last year? I left that afternoon, right ahead of the bad storm and my friends in PV were writing in the next couple of days, saying I just got out in time to miss the storm. It had been beautiful from Dec 6-20, so it was unexpected but extremely hot and muggy that whole day, like something was happening. Even the taxi driver who took me to the airport was commenting on a storm coming.

The bad weather went on for several days, as reported on this forum by many regulars who were down there. Bezerk and others were commenting on it. Not a "typical sprinkle." Some very unexpected weather. At least that's what the weather reports (after the fact) and people vacationing down there then reported.

Having been in PV several times, up until 3 days before Christmas, that was a new one on me and it's never even sprinkled on us, at least right before Christmas. Talking about 3 years worth of recent trips. Hard to know anymore.

Edited: 9:07 pm, May 07, 2014
Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the weather this week average for May?

Every year since I moved here in 2002 there has always been a light sprinkle right around Christmas- within 2 days on either side, Last year was a bit uncommon. It had to do with the snow in Texas and in parts of Mexico- almost 70% of Mexico had cloud cover those few days.

It's an el Nino year and they say this year will be one of the worst. Super hot and rainy.

People don;t often realize because of our geography, it can rain in downtown Vallarta and not a drop falls on the other side of the Rio Cuale. I've watched it pour across the street and didn't get a drop on me on the other side of the road.

The temperature got really hot three days ago and humidity increased dramatically due to the storm south of us and off the coast. These storms tend to circulate and pull the cooler air over the mountains and when it hits the warmer air....rain. The "feels like" index yesterday was 104 and it was uncommonly humid.

We were just at Costco tonight and the lights went off twice. I thought it had started raining already but I think they were making sure the generators were working. Driving home we had a few rain drops and it's been cloudy all day with those thick heavy clouds. So I expect we will get some rain tonight or tomorrow. This is early to have a tropical storm off the coast.....

Edited: 10:28 pm, May 07, 2014
So Cal
Level Contributor
7,921 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the weather this week average for May?

Hurricane season officially starts May 15th. There is a 50% chance that the current storm could develop into Amanda, the first named storm for this season.

tucsonnewsnow.com/story/25446647/hurricane-s…

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the weather this week average for May?

No hurricane, it didn't even make it to Tropical Depression, doubt we'll see any rain either. :(

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Vallarta