We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bringing fishing reels on Plane

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
bringing fishing reels on Plane

Hi,I am flying to P.V.,and want to bring 2 brand new fishing reels,they weigh at least several pounds each,does anyone know if Mexican customs allow fishing reels to be brought into the country.Thanks.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
4,986 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: bringing fishing reels on Plane

I'm not suggesting putting the "reel into a shoe" to get it past Mexican Customs; that is merely to transport it safely so that it does not get crushed by anything. Jeepers people.

Kevin since you are talking serious tackle, I would suggest getting a fishing rod travel case. Now you may have to pay extra for it, but you are talking about a $330 rod / reel....that is some serious money. Bringing your receipt for purchase is an excellent idea, even though it appears to be under the new increased limits. As it is for your personal use, I doubt they will question you anyway. Just if you plan on gifting it to someone or if it is clearly a gift (i.e. wrapped), then they might ask for the receipt. Get a travel case and enjoy. Taught lines.....

Se diviertan!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: bringing fishing reels on Plane

If they aren't brand new, you really don't need a receipt, their concern is about people bringing in items to sell.

My friend Mel would bring in 6 rods and reels - he was a serious fisherman :)

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,376 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: bringing fishing reels on Plane

The Op said he is bringing two "new reels", nothing was said about rods. That is where the difference comes in. Two brand new reels with no rods will set off the "is he selling them" signal to customs. Not many people bring down two-$330 reels as gifts.

I've been bringing boat parts and fishing gear down for 15-years, I know what peaks their interest. :)

Edited: 1:01 pm, May 06, 2014
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: bringing fishing reels on Plane

that's correct,2 brand new reels purchased on Amazon,and deliverd 4 days ago,aprox 4 inches in diameter,approx 6 lbs,no rods,nor any other fishing tackle,does look like a gift(which it is)minus the box,thanks for all info,very helpful.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
969 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: bringing fishing reels on Plane

<Do you know when it was updated? Good news for my upcoming trip.>

Sorry Kathy, I don't know when the site was changed, but it looks like the increased $500 limits were announced, by SAT, on December 5, 2013. That would have been good news for Mexicans travelling during the Christmas time frame.

The changes also remind me of a discussion, on this Trip Advisor forum, which happened a few months ago. Someone was travelling to Mexico with 20 packs of cigarettes and they had to pay duty on 10 of those packs. At the time, the (existing, pre-updated) Mexican Customs website, and a million unofficial Mexico travel forums/blogs, said that one could enter with 20 packs duty-free. So, some posters were questioning whether the Puerto Vallarta airport customs agents were making up rules "on-the-fly".

The updated website now states that one can only bring in 10 packs of cigarettes duty-free:

Los pasajeros mayores de 18 años, un máximo de 10 cajetillas de cigarros, 25 puros o 200 gramos de tabaco; hasta tres litros de bebidas alcohólicas y seis litros de vino.

translated:

Passengers over 18 years, a maximum of 10 packs of cigarettes, 25 cigars or 200 grams of tobacco; up to three liters of alcoholic beverages, and six liters of wine.

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: bringing fishing reels on Plane

Interesting. In march we declared 20 packs of cigs, were getting the stink eye from the customs agent until I said para dos and pointed to my lady and myself. I had avoided the 20 packs per person rule after seeing some postings here on TA that things were a bit "on the fly" at PV airport.

No biggie either way, cigs are cheaper in PV than they are at Canadian Duty Free.

17. Re: bringing fishing reels on Plane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 08, 2015