We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Population south side

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Upper Peninsula...
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Population south side

Do we have an idea on the population of Vallarta's south side? And how many exPats there are? I think the whole municipality is about 250,000.

Missing it, still had snow on our return to northern Michigan last week.

Thanks.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,776 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Population south side

That's approx. correct for all of Puerto Vallarta, but I have no idea how it divides from north and south of the river, how large of an area is technically PV, or how many expats live in PV year-round on the south-side.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Population south side

On a map, satellite view, etc., I would eyeball the size of the southside vs. the size of the whole city (eg, 1 part vs 6 parts, or whatever number you estimate), and do the math with the known population of the whole city. That should give an idea.

I'm curious why this number is of interest...

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Population south side

Even years ago, they said the population of the municipality of Puerto Vallarta was 350.000

Upper Peninsula...
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Population south side

The reason I ask is because one of the first questions my friends ask is how many people live in pv. JR is correct at 350k for the city as a whole. But we stay in the heart of south side and that large number does not reflect my experience or what I want to relate. I think closer to15 or 20 thousand - varies by season of course. We live very rural Michigan, closest neighbor in one direction is two miles, half mile in the other. Average of six cars go by each day and one is us mail, the other the daily press carrier. City life is a big adjustment and a good one. Roosters, donkeys and kids abound.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Population south side

Consider yourself lucky to get mail, LOL

No way I can see to assess the Colonia Emiliano Zapata population, let alone the gringos.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Population south side

I am not even sure the Census people know- am I am sure they do but who knows if they break it down by colonia and by extranjeros- I am sure they do not know as so many come and go on a tourist visa and would not have a clue on how to answer the census poll.

BTW- the Google truck drove by my husband today while he was walking home- so he may be famous on the google earth update. I asked if he "flashed" the truck but he said "no". I may hang up a sign that says "Hola"! on our house in case they drive by tomorrow.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Population south side

I hope he wasn't wearing dark socks and sandals when the Google truck passed. :-)

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Population south side

I think the Mexican 2010 census data, on the INEGI website, only has a population count for the entire Puerto Vallarta municipality. Then, they give the usual breakdowns by gender, age, etc.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Population south side

I was trying to find that website! Thank you! It says in 2010 we had 255,681 residents. I think the 350,000 number is for the Bay area, but I could be wrong.

I do not recall the census asking Nationality, it only shows births, deaths, men, women, children, etc.

I would guess INS would have the count of how many are residents of Mexico (or permanent residents) but there is no way to count people residing for 180 days or less.

10. Re: Population south side

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 08, 2015