We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tequila

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Spokane Valley...
Level Contributor
571 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Tequila

Last time we were in PV we brought home four bottles of tequila wrapped in bubble wrap in our luggage. I was wondering if anything has changed as far as how much per person and if you can still send it through. thanks

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tequila

I think it's still two bottles per person but I seldom bring it home so I may be out of date on this. Others?

United States
Level Contributor
9,456 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tequila

In November 2013 each of us brought home to the US- 2 bottles each in our "checked-on" luggage.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tequila

I believe you can bring back 1 Liter per person. Many of the bottles we had were less than a liter so I brought home 3- 75ml bottles and we were fine going thru Customs in Minnesota,

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,047 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tequila

Dec. 2013 we brought back 3 bottles ea. went through customs in Seattle with no problems, that is not to say it is the amount allowed by customs that is just what we got away with.

I always pack our receipt with the bottles so that if there is a problem all we pay is the tax due on what we have. No big deal.

Chicago
Level Contributor
341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tequila

It's important to declare the amount you are bringing back. You are allowed 1 liter per person duty free but there is no limit on the quantity (within reason). In most cases if you are a few bottles over the customs agent will pass you through rather than go through the effort and forms to collect a couple of dollars in taxes.

Santa Fe Springs...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tequila

Hello there....Im going to nuevo vallarta in a couple of weeks. To be exact from July 5th through July 12. And wondering how many bottles I can bring back in my checked luggage per person, to Los Angeles International Airport? Can anyone help me with that?

Thank's,

Danny

Aurora, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tequila

Declared 6 bottles in chicago. No problem :)

AR
Level Contributor
3,592 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tequila

The correct info is at cbp.gov/xp/customs-duty-info.xm If you have a connecting flight and the state into which you fly allows lesser amounts than US customs, then the state rule reigns.

What is the allowed customs limit and what happens at customs can often be two different things. If stopped, the main inconvenience is the filing of paperwork, not paying the small duty. I have waltzed through with 6-8 750 ml bottles and have had friends stopped with only 2 one liter bottles. By the time they filed the correct forms and paid their duty, they almost missed their connecting flight. I do not list the amount on my customs form...only alcohol....$60.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,481 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tequila

It depends on which state you go though immigration/customs when returning to the US. Federal regulations do not specify a limit on the amount of alcohol you may bring back for personal use but state law might.

That said, I've brought back between 2-6 liters of spirits on over a dozen overseas trips and have never been asked to pay any duty when returning to the US.

10. Re: Tequila

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 27, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Vallarta