We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

body guard summary/back from PV

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
chicago,IL
Level Contributor
234 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
body guard summary/back from PV

I just returned from Spring Break with my group of moms/girls. The airlines did not ask about a letter from the father to exit the country. Passports are the only requirement. So save yourself some time and energy and skip the notary.

Body Guards/ Security/ Chaperones/ .....100% effective and necessary to babysit teenage girls. I have to admit that I was skeptical about hiring someone (after all the laughs on my thread) but these guards did their job and were worth every penny. Our concierge made all the arrangements although I am aware that other groups from our HS used an agency. Our hotel was very quiet in the evening so our teens went out clubbing each night. The Zoo, Roo, Mandalas and so forth. We had many rules regarding safety which we repeated to the girls on a nightly basis. We always had at least 3 moms along (one in each cab) with a 2:00 am curfew. Once the girls were back on the grounds of our resort, they had until 2:30 am to be in bed! They were not allowed on the beach at night. The security guys were super professional and went into the clubs and watched. The moms sat either outside or at a table away from the dance floor. It was a brutal 3 hours each night watching kids doing shots of tequila with thumping loud dance music.

I witnessed a street fight between 2 in which police were called and a window was smashed. I saw the paddy wagon haul them away. I watched kids leaving the club and heading to the ocean with security guards on their heels forcing them back inside. I placed a HS student in a cab back to the hotel and later learned he arrived passed out. A body guard at the hotel (hired by our HS group) carried him out of the cab. As the night progressed, more kids became ill. This is spring break 2014 with teenagers. It was not a family vacation. I knew what I was signing up for. When someone asks me how my trip to PV was all I will say is that " the weather was perfect."

Tip... skip the Foam Party.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: body guard summary/back from PV

Wow, I don't know if I should congratulate you for surviving or not. I know I would never in a million years have done what you did, or had my kids do what they did.

Edited: 11:21 pm, April 04, 2014
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: body guard summary/back from PV

Glad things worked out for you, but the whole thing sounds a little weird to me...

Edited: 11:35 pm, April 04, 2014
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: body guard summary/back from PV

Glad you reported back, but just because you got by without the letter doesn't mean others will. I have been asked about 50% of the time, so if I didn't ever do it, half the time I would have been denied. People should ALWAYS have this letter. Why would anyone risk losing major money over such a small thing? Please don't advise others to not travel without it as they may need it.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,923 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: body guard summary/back from PV

Yeah, not sure I'd want the responsibility of telling someone to "...skip the notary letter...". Especially since on the original thread many responsible sources where quoted as saying it was a necessary requirement.

Here is a link to the original thread for reading (if one is so inclined):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150793-i46-k73142…

¡Que se diviertán!

United States
Level Contributor
9,602 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: body guard summary/back from PV

Yup I'm getting my letter notarized for December. Thank you everyone for informing me to do that. Who wants to be denied a fabulous trip to PV when it only takes 5 minutes for the notary?

I ditto what snorkeler said in post #1. PERIOD.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: body guard summary/back from PV

I took some heat here for being a party-pooper when I encouraged caution on your part with regard to the girls' safety but I hope you can see now why I recommended some of what I did. Things can get out of hand very easily and kids their age think they are "bullet proof". Maybe just having some moms along would have been enough but do you really want to be in the middle of breaking up fights or telling overly aggressive drunk young guys to back off your daughters?

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,561 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: body guard summary/back from PV

Thanks for reporting back. I think it's good to know that these "body guards/chaperones" are real, and from what you're saying....you saw them do their job.

I would do what you did, which is to go with them....but I still think it's nice that this service exists. If parents aren't going to go with their kids, at least this is an available option. I had no idea of this, or that it is indeed arranged by the hotel.

Thanks again for the interesting information. Glad all the girls had a safe trip, and I'm sure they're a little wiser now for the day when they're on their own.

8. Re: body guard summary/back from PV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:06 pm, April 08, 2014
9. Re: body guard summary/back from PV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:37 pm, April 07, 2014
Edited: 6:37 pm, April 07, 2014
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,561 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: body guard summary/back from PV

Yeah but the bodyguards could also be present to make sure kids don't get drunk. Maybe Carmelina will feel like coming back and let us know if the service is tailored per parents instructions, in any way. :-)