We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Tide?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Topic
Red Tide?

There are streaks of red all over the bay today...is it red tide? I don't see many people in the water either....

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Tide?

The guide/biologist on our whale watching tour on 17 march mentioned that there was red tide in the bay.

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,497 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Tide?

The red tide comes and goes during certain times of the year. It also moves around the bay and is worse in some areas than others according to where the tide is moving it. When it gets really bad it stinks, literally, do the sniff test, you will smell it. :)

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Tide?

I sneeze when there is red tide, I must be allergic to the plankton. My friend lives at the Sea River towers and reported a wide band of red tide yesterday and today.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red Tide?

It's not predictable but will seldom last long. :)

Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
295 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Red Tide?

dinoflagellettes, I believe (not sure about the spelling though)

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,784 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Red Tide?

There are also ALOT of jellyfish on the beach in Mismaloya. I had walked north barefoot and noticed them but wasn't sure what they were....they looked like wet rocks. Then it dawned on me what they were so I started back....it was like walking through a minefield, and it suddenly felt like a very long beach LOL.

The little boy next to us got stung, and I saw 3 little Mexican girls running around, and each girl had some 20 jellyfish skewed on a stick!

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Red Tide?

Jellyfish love red tide- they often go hand in hand. I rarely go in the ocean and never during Red Tide....I never buy fish during red tide nor do I eat oysters as the brevetoxins make me ill.

Kind of off topic, but has anyone seen the algae that turns florescent green at night? It's super cool to walk along the edge of the ocean and you look back and see a glowing green trail in the water.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,031 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Red Tide?

"Kind of off topic, but has anyone seen the algae that turns florescent green at night? It's super cool to walk along the edge of the ocean and you look back and see a glowing green trail in the water."

Yup. I've seen it churned up in the wake of boats as well during evening sails/tours. Very neat.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Red Tide?

That luminescence is also caused by dinoflagellates.

BTW Jalisco has banned the sale of shellfish at this time.

Edited: 12:52 pm, April 01, 2014
st louis missouri
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Red Tide?

Coming down in May. Any updates on the red tide and jellyfish greatly appreciated

Thanks Dan