We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yelapa trip?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
390 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Yelapa trip?

I know I can take a small boat to Yelapa from Boca but I am wondering how hard it is to find the spot to catch the boat and how much is the fare? Can anyone help me out with this? Also is it worth it and how far is the trip in the boat?

Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
3,743 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yelapa trip?

Finding the spot at Boca is easy, the ticket guys will hunt you down as soon as you hit the sand!

Price is 70 pesos each way or 140 p return. So no savings buying a return ticket.

I would buy a single ticket that way you can pay any taxi to take you back instead of having to wait/find the taxi who brought you out.

Taxi trip was 50 minutes going out & you see lots of little bays, etc nice scenery. Lots of bars/restaurants on the beach with good food, good prices. Walk over into the village,nice to walk around & I guess you will HAVE to walk up to the near waterfall, 30 min hike up from town. I was really disappointed !

We stayed over night but think the day would have been enough! Been there dun it! Checked off the list.

On the way back on the taxi we ran into a whale with her calf & the driver followed them for 20 minutes, VERY cool.

Watch them loading the boats in Boca going out to Yelapa, EVERYTHING goes in those boats.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,631 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yelapa trip?

For me, Yelapa is a day trip. I really love this little village. It has no cars. Only accessible by boat. It is very quaint and beautiful. Quite relaxing. When you hike through the village you will see some amazing views along the small winding road. Besides the cliff side walking views you will pass roosters, clothes on a line, children playing on the street, burros hauling supplies, a couple of mom and pop stores, a small church (go in it), a little bridge, Javier's "open aired" Rosewood shop (love this!), and then the waterfall. Nice little peaceful walk. So worth it.

Back on the beach, you find a place you want to sit at for the day. The restaurant you sit in front of will serve you food... pay in the end. Make sure to buy a "piece of pie" from Chelly, the pie lady. So yummy. You may also meet the resident iguana and have your picture taken with him. Watch the little boats come and go unloading supplies.

I forgot to got to mention- if you don't want to walk to the waterfall you can ride a mule. These can be found behind the restaurants on the beach. We've done both ways... a mule, and walked.

There is another waterfall which I haven't been to as of yet- it is longer and more prominent. I will be going to that one in December. It is behind the restaurants. You can ask a local to take you there (tip him) and you won't get lost. We are going to ride mules on that hike.

Yes, Yelapa is totally worth it, imo. A great little fishing village.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yelapa trip?

I'll throw in the opinion that Yelapa is also great for a multi-night stay on a laid-back vacation. I stayed three or four nights and loved it.

That gives you time to find the great restaurants and watering holes, explore both waterfalls at your leisure, and even send emails from a hammock to your jealous friends back home while the frogs serenade you at night. Yeah, hammocks with WiFi...

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
153 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yelapa trip?

777Deana777,would love to hear how your trek to the further waterfall in December goes. We'll be in the PV region then and may consider hiking to it. Let us know if it can be done on one's own or if it's better to get a local to guide us there!

Yelapa is a great little village and very picturesque (photographers dream!)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yelapa trip?

If you can find the older thread where directions were given, yes, you can do it on your own. "Better" is subjective.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,353 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yelapa trip?

"and how far is the trip in the boat?"

The ride has usually taken approximately 20/25 minutes (one way) with stops and depending on ocean conditions. But, oh my gosh the other day for the first time ever.... it took 40 minutes! The water was very calm that day, and the driver was going sooo slow and he didn't make any stops. The other taxis were passing us LOL. Maybe his engine had a problem, but I heard nothing that sounded like something was wrong.

If you go on your own by water taxi, copy the village maps on http://www.yelapa.info/ It's easy to miss some of the paths in the village, and it's all interesting!

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yelapa trip?

I'm sure that this is a dumb question, but if you don't get a round trip ticket is there any chance that there won't be a water taxi available to to you back to Boca?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,631 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yelapa trip?

I always buy a round trip ticket. I know and remember the "specific boat times" my water taxi leaves from Yelapa. All we have to do is stand on the beach and wave our arms when we see the boat coming. It's worked every time.

Terriks.... That has crossed my mind too! We always seem to be ready to leave around the 3:00-3:30 time and that is "the run" right before the "last run." By then, I'm ready to go AND I have in the back of my mind... "Yayyyy I made it. At least there's one more run if I missed this one" LOL.

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,970 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yelapa trip?

we buy one way--never had a problem---even in low season there are plenty of taxis.

and i agree buy from the pie ladies.

i think it's a "worth it" trip.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,353 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yelapa trip?

This time our driver gave me a card with his number on it, so I thought that was cool....that way you can make sure you aren't left. First time I've seen that happen though.