We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Vendor question

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Texas
Level Contributor
443 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Vendor question

We are going to PV for our first time in May - staying at Casa Velas. I have been reading a lot of threads & have a question about the beach vendors:

What are the typical items that you can purchase? What does most stuff cost? Is there any silver jewelry? How about hammocks?

Thank you all for the threads that discussed the $ - I plan on bringing about $100 (converted to pesos) per day to cover out of resort expenses & for tipping - is that a decent amount?

TIA

Mentioned in this post
Casa Velas
Casa Velas
1,672 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
505 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Vendor question

You can purchase jewelry, tshirts, dresses, hats, sunglasses, table cloths, wooden statues, bottle openers, pipes, and at least a dozen other things I can't think of right now. lol!

I think $100 worth of pesos is a great amount per day!

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
96 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Vendor question

Everything melgab84 said and more. Beautiful blankets, fruit, oysters & shrimp, silver, cigars, metal and wood art, pictures on canvas - most anything you can think of.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Vendor question

It's a traveling store :)

Texas
Level Contributor
443 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Vendor question

Awesome thanks!

I would love some handmade items - especially a macrame hammock :-)

United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,712 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Vendor question

Yes you can get hammocks. If they don't have the color you want, hold your ground. They will be back within the hour to bring you exactly what you want. LOL

For silver make sure it's the real deal. Has to say .925 on it or it's not real silver. I was told when they give you a price, cut it in 1/2 at least to start and go from there.

Have fun!

Edited: 10:53 pm, March 26, 2014
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Vendor question

Just an FYI about the silver, hubby bought me a bracelet for my bday that said .925 and my jeweler says it's not real. I even made sure to check with the guy while my husband was trying to surprise me since I knew what to look for and we still got screwed. I don't know how else you would tell though, but the .925 did nothing for us:(

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,470 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Vendor question

Use a magnet.

United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,712 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Vendor question

Maried11

That is sad! Is there another test to see if its real silver before you buy? I honestly wouldn't know how to tell then.... I'm not a silver connoisseur. Does anyone know?

Oh I see Jenny responded. So the magnet would attract? I wonder if the jewelry guys carry these magnets around with them? I'm sure they are asked all the time.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach Vendor question

Well he didn't know that and I wasn't supposed to know he was buying it for me with the kids, so even though I did check for the .925 vendors or jewelers there can screw you. They shouldn't be trying to pass off fake silver as real because that only plays into people's mind set that you need to watch out for every scam in Mexico on tourists. Just a heads up:)

Edited: 11:36 pm, March 26, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach Vendor question

Deanna: It is sad and I've not ever told my husband that it wasn't real or he would be crushed since he tried so hard to keep it a surprise with the kids. It's still beautiful, but I just feel that the ones that do this, only continue to put a negative light on what people already think about Mexico in general.

Not to say of course there aren't totally honest, wonderful stores, but for tourists who don't know any better, how would they know.

To me though, it was such a nice thought from my family that it doesn't even matter it's not real:)

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America