We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starting my list - too many to choose from!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
697 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Starting my list - too many to choose from!

Going to PV for the first time next month, and I've been doing lots of research on these boards. I'm starting to compile my "restaurant list;" clearly there are a lot to choose from! I like to go with a list of places that have been recommended - either via a thread like this or from reviews - then we'll pick and choose from that list as we go. We will be there for five nights and are staying at the Marriott. We like anything from street food (I love good street tacos!) to fine dining and pretty much everything in between. I prefer to eat local - not interested in eating Italian, Thai, etc. when in Mexico. We're not big breakfast eaters, so we may just grab something quick in the morning, although I suspect with all the places nearby at the marina, we'll try at least one breakfast out. Otherwise, lunches will be out - in town, on a beach, boat, etc. Dinners will be out - likely not at the Marriott; while I hear that they have good food, there's just too much else out there and so little time. I love good food, and experiencing the local food is a highly important part of vacation for us.

So, with all that said I'd love some suggestions for my list!

Thanks,

Donna

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,111 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Starting my list - too many to choose from!

I'll get it started: http://tinyurl.com/l5rnvq7

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Starting my list - too many to choose from!

Puerto Vallarta has several hundred restaurants, if everybody on the forum gave you their recommendations, you would need far more than five days ~ LOL

It would really help if you narrowed it down to what your must-have dining experiences are.

United States
Level Contributor
9,456 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Starting my list - too many to choose from!

Do you want more "local food flavors and eat like the locals" or "having an experience" or "enjoying the view?" OR all of these in one restaurant? Reason I ask is: many of us here have our favorite restaurants, but we like some for the food, some for the ambiance and food, others like the view. What is your preference?

Edited: 9:23 pm, January 20, 2014
Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
697 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Starting my list - too many to choose from!

That's part of the problem - I want to try it all! My must haves: good, authentic, local food. I'm sure we'll want at least one "nicer" dinner, but we have no problem with the hole-in-the-wall type places, too.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Starting my list - too many to choose from!

I have two restaurants that I wouldn't want anyone to miss:

Mariscos Polo's

and

Tony's Please

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
697 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Starting my list - too many to choose from!

Ambiance is nice, but food trumps it. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to just eat in dives that serve good food, but I also don't want to go to a place that has a great view but average to lousy food. I guess it depends upon the place. I'm open to suggestions. I've looked at a lot of the reviews. Ocean Grill gets great reviews and it looks like it's a great experience; however, is the food good, too, or do you go just for the whole experience? From the reviews, it sounds like this place we love in Anguilla called Scilly Cay. They have nailed it on both counts - awesome experience and food (with, unfortunately, the prices to go with it, but so worth it for a day's worth of fun.) Pepe's Tacos looks like it could be really good, as does Victor's Place. Sonora Grill sounds like it could be good, but is it just a steak house?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,560 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Starting my list - too many to choose from!

Ooops --- that's going to be tough as you'd probably have to stay for 6 months (or more) to try it all.

Have you checked out the forum? It seems this online community is regularly talking about *food.* If you've done your homework, you might be able to narrow it down to something a little less than "trying it all." As Ted says (as is reflected in many threads about food), if we all gave you our favorites, it would still take 2 or 3 weeks, doing breakfast/lunch/dinner each day.

Suggestion: In your thread title, you said you had a list. Many of us here are "list makers" regarding food and Things to Do for "next time." Looks like you have joined us.

Your list for your short trip is not going to be perfect and you will not be able to do it all, especially since you're staying in the Marina so you'll have to travel at least half the time, to experience as much as you want. Here's some ideas:

What type of cuisine makes you happy (Mexican, Asian, Italian, seafood, continental, fusion)?

What is your favorite meal of the day (BLD or snacks)?

Besides food, in a restaurant, what else about your experience would make it memorable (view?/service?)

Is budget an issue?

Do you like to walk to a local place to eat or is taking the bus or taxi OK with you (broadens your horizons)?

========================

With less than a week, you want to make those days special so if you can answer some of these questions for yourself, it would be easier for us to help. Personally I like little local places off the tourist track but others like more gourmet. There is a HUGE variety of food experiences. The Marina (near you) has a few. We've talked about them recently on this forum so you might want to do a SEARCH above on Marina restaurants.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to "do it all." Have a "Next Time List" (like we PV vets have) and keep it for "next time." That is one of the charms about Puerto Vallarta. That's what brings us all back. We're never "done." There is always a "next time."

Enjoy the planning process and making your list but do realize.....you will run out of time quickly as there are so many options. I've been coming to PV for 30 years and it's so dynamic that I can never do it all as it keeps changing. Always something new.

Thought I'd recommend branching out, you can get good authentic local food at the Marina (Lupita's, El Coleguita, Marisma's and others) and nice dinners (MANY!) at the Marina. There are literally hundreds of great restaurants matching your description, all over town.

Enjoy (and keep that on-going list in your back pocket!)

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
992 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Starting my list - too many to choose from!

La Rhonda on Aquilles Serdan

Casa Isabel for a wonderful view of the city. You'll probably want to come into the Romantica Zone & take a cab up there as the hill is a wee bit steep. You can walk down.

There are so many to choose from! Good luck with making decisions on where to eat!

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,367 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Starting my list - too many to choose from!

"I prefer to eat local - not interested in eating Italian, Thai, etc. when in Mexico."

I've become a big fan of Gabys, Mexican and sometimes with a little modern twist...but not always. I haven't had anything bad there.

Maia is a new restaurant. The reviews have all been very good....the menu each day is decided by what can be bought fresh in PV that day. The chef is very creative and his dishes are mostly Spanish/Mexican based. I wrote a review, but there are many happy reviews. You might want to give them a try.

El Brujo has authentic Mexican dishes, and is also very good.

Calabasas, CA
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Starting my list - too many to choose from!

If you want a real treat in a dining experience you must try Hacienda San Angel. Make sure you go during the week when the Mariachis are there. http://www.haciendasanangel.com/dining.html

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Vallarta