We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to the Zoo for the first time

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
810 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Going to the Zoo for the first time

What to expect? My sister said some people told her that we will be covered in bug bites. What is the cost to hold baby animals? Please tell me your experience.

Twin Bridges...
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to the Zoo for the first time

We went on New Year's Day, and the price for holding the newborn lion and jaguar, playing with the older tiger and lion cubs and monkeys including food was around $85 USD. Everyone was sprayed with bug spray and didn't get bitten at all. We had a very enjoyable day.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,841 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to the Zoo for the first time

We always spray for the zoo. I'm not a bug magnet but my husband is and he got lots of bites when he didn't spray, so we both spray when we go to the zoo nowadays. We wait until we arrive at the zoo to do our spraying. Spray thoroughly and you won't get a bunch of bites. Sometimes we even reapply.

Entrance is $100 Pesos and I think the bag of food is $5 pesos, but not positive on that part. They do have seperate pricing if you only want to hold one animal....but I can't give you the breakdown since I can't remember.

Ask to see the animals first, then decide.

USA
Level Contributor
613 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to the Zoo for the first time

Prices as I recall them for our visit this past July:

Entrance fee: 100 pesos

Bag of food (a must): 50 pesos

Basic animal experience to play with monkeys and baby tiger: 400 pesos

I brought bug spray and had it in my backpack but we completely forgot to use it as it really wasn't an issue for us. The surroundings, however, suggest that bugs could definitely be an issue so definitely a good idea to bring some along. Available at just about any farmacia.

It was the highlight of my summer trip to be quite honest.

San Diego
Level Contributor
4,964 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to the Zoo for the first time

I was planning to go last August, but unfortunately did not make it. Am planning to put this on the March trip itinerary. My question is (I'm sorry if I'm hijacking your thread!) do you think the babies will still be young enough to hold in March?

Thanks!

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
189 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to the Zoo for the first time

This place is awesome. Check this link for pricing http://www.zoologicodevallarta.com/zooi.html

Do use some sort of bug repellant. We just used the bracelets, no problems. Make sure and buy the food for the animals. Save the giraff some carrots, he is a hoot.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to the Zoo for the first time

We took a bus to the zoo-this took about 20 minutes, and cost 75 pesos a person. Nice drive along the ocean. When you get to Mismaloya, purchase your ticket for admission ($100 pesos each) at the stand on the right side of the road. You have to walk a good 15 minutes to the zoo from there, going across the road and through the small town; it is rocky, and very steep. I do not recommend this for someone who cannot walk well. Once at the zoo entrance you get a braclet and can purchase a bag of food to feed the animals. It's well worth the money to purchase the food. You can also purchase time with the baby lion cubs, leopard cubs, and monkeys. While with the animals you can take as many pictures as you like, or videos. Only place around that will let you do that !! Holding the bangle tiger cub was a blast! Loves tummy rubs. Once you are done there, you travel through the pathways (very steep again) and see various animals from zebras, hippopotamus, giraffe, lions, monkeys, etc. All except the lions you can actually feed. It takes approximately 1 hour to go through the zoo, but you are welcomed to go for a second tour if you want. You can also pay to have a guide go with you. Signs are on all the pens, so you know what to feed them, and a little about the animals. The trees are beautiful, you can tell you are in a rain forest. We didn't take insect repellant, and were fine. We arrived at 10:00 am when it opened, but the animals didn't start to get active until about 11:00 or so, when the sun was warming things up

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to the Zoo for the first time

It was 7.5 pesos now 8 pesos on the bus

8. Re: Going to the Zoo for the first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:45 pm, March 28, 2015
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,058 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to the Zoo for the first time

It takes at least two hours to go through (that "one hour" above was a surprise), unless you're running, as it's an incline going in and one coming downhill going out. The two times we've been there, we've spent about 2 hours and 45 minutes each time. That's after you get there. As others have said, a 10-15-minute stroll through the village both ways.

Don't buy your tickets right after you get off the bus. Buy them when you enter the zoo. As others have said, DO buy the food for the animals. There will be instructions on the bag as to what to feed to "whom." Which animal thrives on which food. Spend time watching the animals and feeding them.

We were there in April and November and needed bug spray both times, so do be prepared for that.

My avatar is of an adult female lion at the PV Zoo. We fell in love with her. She was like our big kitten. We met her after over two hours wandering up above ---- she was in the cat cage on the way down the steep hill. We stopped to get to know her. She responded.

calgary
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to the Zoo for the first time

I have always given the guy(trainer\handler) 100 pesos for a photo op and he will let you play with the cat of the day for a few minutes.