We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK traveller considering PV / NV holiday. Help!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
193 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
UK traveller considering PV / NV holiday. Help!

We are an English couple (46 + 50) who usually have our annual winter holiday in India. Mainly North Goa, but also South Goa, Sri Lanka and Kerala. We like lazy beach holidays and good weather is a prime key in where to holiday.

Last December we decided on a change and after much research decided on Akumel in the Riviera Maya Mexico.

I was advised that the weather would be cool but dry at this time of year. We decided on GBP Akumel Resort.

The hotel was fantastic, the area interesting. The weather was warmer than expected but also wetter. For 7/21 days it was very unsettled. With rain lasting from about an hour to a whole day. These days were also much cooler.

On the other 14/21 days the weather was better than expected. Hot & sunny.

For this December we are trying to decide; do we return to Goa, (weather is usually guaranteed but for the price, accommodation is very basic) or do we try somewhere else.

I have taken a look at Puerta/Neuvo Vallarta and these are definite considerations.

PV: the package hotels on offer in the UK are more expensive than NV, but there appears to be more of an opportunity to visit local establishments and reviews say that on average, prices outside the hotel are reasonable.

NV: the package hotels on offer in the UK are better value than PV, but areas outside the hotel appear to “exclusive” and “expensive”.

Can people please help me with the following:-

• what temperatures can I expect in December for daytime and evening?

• Is day time sunbathing weather?

• How much rain is expected?

• What is the cost of living outside the hotels in PV / NV?

• How much e.g. for a beer, a snack, a basic meal in PV/NV

• How far is it from Peurto Vallarta to Neuvo Vallarta? Walk / taxi?

• Would it be possible to stay in NV and to travel into PV for an afternoon or evening? How practical would this be?

• Any idea how much a taxi would cost to take this trip?

Any other help is greatly appreciated.

Edited: 3:58 am, January 14, 2014
Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
286 posts
492 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: UK traveller considering PV / NV holiday. Help!

Thanks VancouverPinoy, your exactly the kind of person this forum needs. Someone who wants to be helpful, admits he is not an expert, does a lot of research to answer the OP questions. I found your info to be accurate and like the OP said "Any help is greatly appreciated" The other thing I appreciate is your wisdom to refer the OP to a "Destination Expert." like JR. I think it's "RUDE" for anyone to tell the OP to

"ignore anything he says". I hope that response doesn't discourage you from future contributions.. I have been travelling to Mexico and PV for over forty years and I don't think you were "interfering with information from actual travelers".

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,478 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: UK traveller considering PV / NV holiday. Help!

I don't suggest going back to Goa at all. If you have the desire, the time, and the money then you know what the trip is like since you've been to Akumal. My son does an India trip every few months, and it works out fine as you know, as long as he has enough time in India, then he has a good long sleep when he gets home and catches his clock back up to KC time.

My post gives you a good idea of consistently good weather over the last 3 trips in the first half of December, and that's the norm for all of December, so there is nothing either way to say it will rain your entire trip next year.

But if you have 2 - 3 weeks, which I assumed from your post, then chances are very good you're not going to have rain the entire time, and if things are normal....you won't have any at all...but again no promises.

Edited: 9:42 pm, January 14, 2014
13. Re: UK traveller considering PV / NV holiday. Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 16, 2015