We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

custom changes

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
custom changes

I have health recently that there have been some changes re: how much alchol and cigarettes you can take out of mexivo to canada. Could somone thst has noticed the change let me know the amounts now? Also we fly into huston texas before heading to toronto, then on to halifax..does anyone know if we take our luggage off in huston and put it thru again to go to toronto..?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: custom changes

United Air via Houston is the only stop in the US where you don't have to pick up your luggage for Canadians.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,139 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: custom changes

As the new Bradley Terminal at LAX continues to open with each phase it wouldn't surprise me if they implement the one stop also. As Married11 said it will most likely be airline specific as they transition international flights into the new terminal.

Crystal Beach, Texas
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: custom changes

If I were you I would check with the airline. We live in Houston and fly to and from Puerto Vallarta at least a couple of times a year. Upon return to US, they always caution everyone to pick up their bags. I have never heard them make an exception for anyone. ( our last entry was 12/15/13)

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,701 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: custom changes

We are Canadians and have flown in and out of Houston frequently. One´s bags are checked straight through from Mexico to Canada. . It is only if you are connecting to another city in the US that you have to pick up your bags in Houston and recheck them. But, as always, doublecheck with the agent when you check in at Departures in Puerto Vallarta.

Edited: 5:14 pm, January 10, 2014
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: custom changes

thanks careyeroslib,

I have now returned home and can give the correct info I was looking for. When we landed in Huston, we had to pick up our luggage, go thru customs and then put it back on the luggage carasol to continue into to Toronto. When we reached Toronto we had to do the same thing again. Our luggage was then transferred after we went thru customs again in Toronto onto Halifax. We did not need to go thru custom in Halifax as we had already been tru this in Toronto. Thank heavens we had a 3 hour lay over in Huston as the whole process took 2 and half hours from start to finish!!!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: custom changes

That is so odd since we just did this in Oct. and did not have to get our luggage, my parents just returned on Jan. 12th, no luggage, sisters Dec. 18th, no luggage, other clients Jan. 14th no luggage. I don't know why you had to? They have one stop in IAH and Canadians should not have to pick up luggage. Were you flying United?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: custom changes

we were flying united....going into another country after Mexico you do have to get your luggage, go thru customs again and then we had to do it again in Toronto as we had left the USA and into Canada.... Trust me, everyone that left Mexico, went into the USA had to ans well as when we arrived into Canada all had to do the same as we did. Seems every time you fly international you have to go thru the same routine!

Just so you know that when we flew out of Houston, we flew with Air canada (Jazz) to Toronto and then again with Air Canada from Toronto to Halifax. Lesson learned....fly directly out of Canada, less headaches and waiting lines!

Edited: 12:48 pm, January 16, 2014
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: custom changes

We had to go through customs, but did not have to get our luggage. This is something you don't have to do in IAH with United from Mexico back to Canada. Neither have any of my clients ever. Maybe because you were switching to Air Canada, I don't know, but if you are on United from Mexico to Houston to Canada you do not have to get your luggage. This is one of the reason I route people via IAH because of the ease of it (unless they are going direct). Trust me, this is the way it goes there.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: custom changes

well we were the lucky ones....2 1/2 hours later and just in time to grab a bottle of water before having to board again in Toronto....

Edited: 1:16 pm, January 16, 2014
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: custom changes

not a biggie....we left PV at 12:07....and into Halifax by 2am and home by 4am...have to love love travelling,, NOT!!! but its great while being at our destination in sunny PV

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Vallarta